Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Metal on metal 'clacking' not balljoints

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Starting Member
clanholm is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a similar noise in my 2000 Blazer. It turned out to be the jounce bumpers. One of them was completely missing the rubber part.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:03 AM
Starting Member
Mark_D is on a distinguished road

What on Earth is a jounce bumper? It sounds like something American Gladiators would joust with...

My car is in the shop today and I'm going to ask them to see if they can figure out what it is, though I really do think it must be the cv 1/2 axle in my case.

I will post back

Old 05-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Starting Member
gscrippler is an unknown quantity at this point

please let me know if you figure it out I replaced upper and lower B joints and inner/outer Tie rods and am now getting that noise usually when i stop and then back into a parking spot. The shift in weight makes the clicking noise. I tighten my shock bolts but think I'll check the front brake pads to see if they are floating around

Old 05-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Starting Member
gscrippler is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if this is your situation, but I went under my Blazer today and found that the Transmission mount and cross member bolts needed to be tightened, My clicking noise seems to have disappeared.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:37 PM
Shalom is on a distinguished road

'88 4x4, made a clacking noise ever since the state inspection station put it on the shock tester, which vibrated it rapidly up and down, and something broke. This was about 4 inspections (8 years) ago; they don't do that test anymore, probably broke too many people's cars...

Finally found out what it was: when the truck was in for a fuel filter replacement, the mechanic noticed that the bracket at the left end of the transmission crossmember was broken, and the crossmember was flapping up and down. Chevy dealer wants $286 to replace that, but I'll need to get it to pass emissions first...

Old 06-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Starting Member
Mark_D is on a distinguished road

I had my truck in a garage recently, and he seemed to think it was a piece of metal which had broken off inside the catalytic converter. I think he identified the odd noise I get when starting the car, but not the clacking noise.

I looked at the transmission, and somebody please tell me if I'm right, but it looks to be bolted on by only two bolts, which have a rubber pad between the tranny and the frame. I can wiggle the transmission around a little bit. Is that normal? Seems kind of weird to me.

What I'm starting to think is the problem is a CV shaft that jiggles a little bit. It's a new, remanufactured one from Napa, and seems to work fine, but if I reach in and grab the shaft [of the CV axle, perverts] I can shake it and make it move around a little bit.

Food for thought. Is anyone following this thread still?

Old 06-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The catalytic converter wouldn't be a metal on metal noise. More like a rubber mallet hitting metal.

Your description of the transmission mount sounds normal.

CV shafts typically tick when they are bad. They do have some movement to them when good.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:35 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 4x4blazerguy
This might sound stupid. But on our 97 Blazer 4x4 I got this rattling or banging noise on the passengers side. For a year I looked for it. When a heater core was installed I asked the mechanic to look for anything loose under the dash. I checked the front end. It only did it on rough roads or off road. Finally one day this winter I stumbled on the problem. You will never guess what it was. It was the hinge bolt on the hood was loose & the hood was making the noise. It was a loud metal rattle or bang as stated above. I tightened the bolt & nut & that ended a year search.
I had the same issue - drove me nuts! tuned out to be the hinge hood pivot bolts. There is a fix for this - it's a simple washer issue. Kyle was the wise one who figured this out & found the TSB. Good 'ol Kyle. I did refer this link to tonyw the other day. I'll see if I can find it.

Got it! https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...ht=hood+rattle Thanks again to Kyle.

Last edited by kiwiblazer; 06-08-2010 at 01:39 AM. Reason: added link
Old 06-12-2010, 10:49 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks guys, tried wiggling my tranny, seems solid, and also jammed my mechanics gloves under the hood and slammed it shut, noise is still there LOL this is craaaazy ive honestly spent at least 4 or 5 hours now trying to locate it!

seems as though i get 1 thing fixed, another 2 break. cant WAIT to get my 5.3 z71!!!!!

Old 07-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Beginning Member
freakgt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blazinloud
hello, another day, another problem

anyway i was just reading a post from 2007 thats identical to my problem, a little old, so i started a new thread.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...spension+clunk

that is his thread.

anyway, on to the story, ill try be short n sweet. 98 2 door jimmy 30" m/t's with some uneven tread(not too terrible)

both hubs less than a year old
upper and lower balljoints just installed
wheel alignment a week ago.

and my problem is the same as he states, a metal on metal clacking coming from the drivers side tire or beneath my feet. and it will only make the sound going over bumps, even if its just a little patch on the street. also it will do it at slow and normal driving speeds.

So before i got my 'bad' balljoints replaced, this metal on metal sound was not there, brought it in for the repair, and maybe a day or 2 later i noticed the sound. but its inconsistent, some days it does it more often than others. I brought it in to get an alignment, they heard the sound(test drive), but said all my front end parts were good.

also the alignment dosent seem right, or i have excessive wear in a steering component. because i need to take all the play out of the steering wheel to my left to make it go straight(about the 11 oclock spot) sure this maybe from my tires i understand, but i rotated the front tires and its still the same.

in the post i have a link to up top, he mentions its possibly a torsion bar bushing, and also my landlord said chevys are bad for a ublot or something loosening on the steering shaft and rattling around....but i dont feel any shocks in the steering wheel.......

now in conclusion, i was at the shop that did the alignment and he did the thing where he jacked up the control arm and put a 2x4 under the tire and and pressed up against the tire, and it made NO NOISE.

anyway to diagnose this? ive probably layed underneath for a total of 3 hours now shaking and jerking stuff, but its all tight so far....... help is always appreciated.

My 1997 4x4 blazer just started doing the exact same thing. It dosen't do it so much when I hit a bump, but when I go over something that makes the front end bounce up and then back down. It clunks on the drives side right under my left foot. I just did inner and outter tie rods and got an alignment done, yet I still have to hold the wheel at about 11 oclock to do strait down the road.

Quick Reply: Metal on metal 'clacking' not balljoints