Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

New to me 2005 Blazer ZR2

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 10:51 PM
Beginning Member
mtudb24 is on a distinguished road
Default New to me 2005 Blazer ZR2

Bought a 2005 ZR2 blazer with 117K miles. 31x10.50x15 tires are shot. Ordering new 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler duratec's (had them on a Jeep rubicon and loved them)
What I am looking for ideas are on.
1. Shocks - should I have the factory Bilstiens replaced with Bilsteins or should I look at another brand?
2. The steering wheel has a little slop side to side (may 1/4 to 1/2 inch), thinking Pitman arm and drag link. Should I replace both? Would that solve it?
3. Did the ZR2 blazer come with a steering stabilizer? If so, what should I replace it with? If if did not, is there one that fits these trucks?
4. Anything I else I should have checked from a suspension standpoint?

I'm already having the engine oil changed, rear differential fluid change. Trans fluid is new as the 700R4 was just replaced. What about front diff?
CV joints and boots are tight. No looks and no rough angles.
The gasket between the muffler and tailpipe has a leak? Do replace that or just do a full cat back exhaust?
Yes, I know I am going to putting some money into this rig, but i bought it cheap and the body is fairly solid and it will be a vehicle my son drives now and then and i drive now and then to our hunting cabin etc.
Looking for recommendations on other things i should do for preventative maintenance since I just bought this a few days ago.
Brakes according the guy i bought it from were just redone a few months ago
Thanks
Todd

Old 10-30-2019, 12:06 AM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road

1. I prefer the Bilsteins
2.) It could be about anything from the Pittman and idler arm to the rag joint. Need to jack it up and have someone turn the wheel to see what moves before the tires do. Also see if there is motion by pushing on the tires at 12 and 6 then 3 and 9., First will tell you if the ball joints are bad the second will let you know if the tie rods are bad. Also look at the control arm bushings. Many people like to replace the rag joint with a universal joint. There is an excellent write up on here for this.
3. My ZR2 has the steering stabilizer and it seems to be ok. Haven't researched it.
4. I mentioned the control arm bushings. Also look for the back end sag which is common for these trucks.

I like the Gibson cat back system but a gasket is less than 5 bucks. I would see if I could replace the gasket.

The front diff is easy to change the fluid as many have a drain plug but see if you can get the fill plug out first before draining.

You are reaching the time in the blazers life that lower intake manifold gasket can fail so I would suggest changing it and use the fel pro metal spine kit. I have done two of these and it's not that hard.

Change the transfer case fluid.

The trans was repalced with a 700R4? it should have the next generation with the 4L60E . I am adding trans coolers to all my trucks as a trans is very expensive.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:30 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate the input. Yes, you are correct, its the 4L60E. That was my mistake
Thanks again
Todd

Old 11-02-2019, 09:15 PM
Beginning Member

Here are the results of the inspection:
1. Shocks are shot. Will go ahead and replace with Bilsteins
2. Pitman arm is worn. Having it replaced
3. Ball joints bad. Having them replaced
4. Front End Alignment
5. Coolant flush
6. Oil Change
7. fuel tank has a leak. Replacing tank (fuel pump was replaced a few months ago so is fine)
8. Gearbox has a little play in it but recommended not to worry about it until later (Pitman arm and ball joints were most needed)
9. 4 new 31x10.50x15 Good Year Duratracs. Spare 31x10.50x15 tire is new and not needed

Next up will be replacing grille (loose on the ends I think the tabs are broken), turn signal assemblies (with fog lamps) due to tabs being broken, and all new bulbs (9906, 9005, 880's). New rear bumper license lamp socket (passenger side), Husky floor liners, and husky mud flaps (to replace the junk that's on it)

Old 11-03-2019, 04:43 AM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road

Very nice truck should be a good one once you get it sorted. I was told that your price for a used vehicle reflects the deferred maintenance.
This summer I bought a 2005 Trailblazer for my youngest son to take to college. I priced in a front end rebuild, new tires, couple new coils, transmission service and new fuel pump. I missed the broken motor mounts, exhaust, and leaking power steering and trans lines. The point of the story is the truck was at tipping point either invest and a very good truck or let it decline. He has very solid truck that has only two issues. The rear brakes will need to be done at Christmas and the spare tire hoist cable is frayed a little. Just typical maintenance from here out is the plan for the 4 years and 50k miles.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:55 PM
Beginning Member

Very good advice 2001ZR2. I'm hoping for it to get him through HS (hes a sophomore) and maybe a few miles I put on it to save mile on my lease truck. After this initial bought of costs, I'm hoping from here on out as well will just be maintenance . Except my problem is I have a condition called "Vehicle ADHD". I can't leave anything alone. Always tinkering. Its a real disease, at least that what i tell my wife :-) :-) :-)
Thanks again to all for the advice
Todd

Old 11-05-2019, 06:44 PM
Suruppak is on a distinguished road

Good looking truck!