Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Clunking noise when turning... Wheel bearing???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 11:20 AM
mkbermel is on a distinguished road
Default Clunking noise when turning... Wheel bearing???

I'm not sure what this could be... It clunks when I turn either direction. It seems fine if you're going straight though... If you're going around a turn it kind of waves I have no clue how to explain what's happening.... I was thinking either wheel bearing/hub assembly, ball joint, or sway bar... so in other word have no clue. A couple people I've talked to have leaned toward wheel bearing but want a couple more opinions.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:03 PM
brad_blazer is on a distinguished road

If its four wheel drive and one of the 2nd gen ones it is your cv axles in the front. Repalce them and you should be fine. Normally sway bars wouldn't make that sound. Hub assemblies would make noise all of the time most of the time when they go out.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A broken sway bar end link could definitely make a clunk when you turn.

A failing wheel bearing typically is not described as a clunk. More of a hum (slightly bad) to a growl (really bad) which would be more noticeable when turning at first, but gradually get more noticeable while going straight as well.

When CV axles go, they typically will click/tick while turning.

Is it a rhythmic clunk, consistent with your speed or is it random?

Old 07-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Namtaru is on a distinguished road

sorry to bump this thread, I just bought a '97 blazer that is experiencing this same issue.

What this ever resolved op?

Old 07-20-2010, 12:05 AM
Namtaru is on a distinguished road

in case anyone cares, i got a chance to lift the front of my truck up (it SUCKS living in Chicago, you aren't allowed to work on your truck anywhere )
After rotating the wheels back and forth while off the ground it was easy to see that my front right CV halfshaft was very loose, and ended up needing to be replaced.
the part was $60 from autozone and was replaced in a few hours

all is good!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:03 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

I think this is my issue...... Mine is rhythmic sounds like its a record player wobbling... if that makes any sense....