Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Strong Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Beginning Member
jlgtx300 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Strong Vibration

1996 4dr 4wd S-10 Blazer

Last weekend, I put 4 brand new Cooper Discoverer HT tires on. They are an all-season highway tire. I removed 4 BFGoodrich Long Trail tires with 60,000 miles, and the truck rode super smooth, like new before taking them off. I dont have any allignment issues, new cv axles/ball joints/ 6 months ago, and hub bearings are good. I removed all tires and replaced with new and ballanced all new tires. Took truck back home and on highway getting a vibration. Figured it was wheel ballance. So today had a chance to work on it again, and reballanced the tires and they were good. Took them to a friends shop to confirm on his ballancer and was accurate and recieved same reading. Took out on road, still vibrating. So then had a friend come by with same truck took all 4 of his wheels and tires to confirm that I didnt buy a bad batch of tires, and took out on highway, still same thing. This vibration is constant on highway from 40 all the way to 75mph. So then purchased a new pair of u-joints for rear drive-shaft. Replaced and took out to highwah and same thing. The closest resemblance I am getting is it is like driving with the rear drumb brakes way over adjusted. Now I havent touched a thing on the truck except changing tires last weekend. How and what could be wrong. Oh and the tire size is exactly the same as what I had on there. I confirmed I am only in 2wd b/c front drive shaft spins freely. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Beginning Member

Anything??? Should I try a different brand of tires brand new??? Thanks

Old 02-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Beginning Member

Just got back from shop. Had a small leak out of tail seal, so thought maybe the transfer case was the culprit, but when pulled top plug, fluid came right out. Checked gear oil in front and rear gear boxes, which was fine. Vibration/rumble noise very loud especially 60-65mph. I am almost positive not anything in front, because I have both front cv axles new in past 4 months, along with ball joints, hub bearings.

Does anyone think it could be the rear axle or bearing?? Thanks

Old 02-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Beginning Member

How can I check to see if my rear axle bearing and or axle shaft is worn out or damaged. Any other suggestions I should look into. Please help.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Beginning Member

Anyone????????

Old 02-10-2011, 08:44 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jlgtx300
The closest resemblance I am getting is it is like driving with the rear drumb brakes way over adjusted.
got your PM Chris.

it's funny you mention the symptoms are similar to drum brakes acting up.

is your truck rear drum or disc? (i'm gonna guess drums, due to the year)

have you inspected th rear brakes yet?

a broken shoe retainer can allow the shoe to twist from the backing plate, and rub or skip inside the drum.

drum brakes are fickle beasts. i've seen a broken spring in a LR drum cause a RF disc to lock up @ any speed under 60kmh within 7 minutes of getting warmed up.

since you've already changed the tires with another set, you've pretty much ruled out that the tires are the culprit.

it obviously has to do with the removal of the wheels, so i'd start looking @ the brakes. then move onto any loose suspenion components.

keep us updated.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Beginning Member

I really appreciate your feedback. One thing I did notice is that the backing plate on the right rear wheel assembly was rubbing while I spun the wheels up on the lift a the shop. Definitely will look into this. Thanks again. I will keep everyone up to date.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:16 PM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

i hope you figure it out i need to figure out mine

Old 03-01-2011, 10:51 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

it's been (almost) 3 weeks, any word on what you figured out?

Old 04-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Starting Member
Mark_D is on a distinguished road

Ah, left in the dark! I have the same problem and replaced a rear 1/2 axle which I thought was the culprit. Also put on 4 new tires. Still shaking and am losing patience - might have to pay someone to find it

Quick Reply: Strong Vibration