Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

rear end

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 12:14 AM
86 like me is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rear end

is it possible to use a rear independent suspension set up like used on hot rods,instead of stock axel? in order to use coil over setup instead of leafsprings. i bet they would ride better than the solid axel and leafspring set right? and if so how much is it

Old 10-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: rear end

Good luck with that... I really hope you know how to fabricate suspension mount points before undertaking a project such as this. If you are in need of a shop to do this, expect to pay through the nose.

You will first have to find an independent rear end setup with the appropriate flange to flange width. Then you will have to fabricate the mount points onto the frame. From there, it is as simple as hanging the new rear end on the frame and connecting everything up. Ofcourse, you will need to change the brake lines to the rear end and possibly the rear driveshaft length, etc.

It is not going to be cheap.