Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Rear end noise.. diff swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 11:35 PM
Beginning Member
ShawnS89 is on a distinguished road
Default Rear end noise.. diff swap?

Crashed my 95 and got a 98 Blazer 4.3l Auto 4x4.

I've got an intermittent knock from the rear end that matches wheel speed. It stops when brakes are applied heavily. I've inspected rear brake rotors and they seem fine.

When I bought it the rear-pass leaf spring shackle was busted, and appeared to have been driven that way for a while, because the rear u joint was also effed and there are large gouges around the rear suspension.

I'm guessing either the rear wheel bearing is damaged or some other component of the differential, maybe some gouging on the axle??

Anyways, I rebuilt the rear diff gear set on my 95 not too long before I crashed it, and I'm thinking of swapping the whole rear end, because I'm guessing the fella I bought the 98 from didn't keep up with the maintenance.

Soooo to make a long story short, assuming the 95 and 98 both have the same gear ratio (GU6), wondering what surprises I might expect trying to swap the rear end from a vehicle that had rear drum brakes to a vehicle that has rear discs?

There is up and down play on both rear axles and a lot of noise back there, so I'm guessing the wheel bearings are fried.

anyhoo, any thoughts?