Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Rear end question

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough
Default Rear end question

Anyone know the proper procedure to replace the pinion seal on the rear diff? Is it possible to do without removing the diff from the truck? do i need to do a complete teardown? Mine leaks a bit but i really don't wanna pull axles and do a complete reseal (especially considering i don't have a press) and install new crush sleeves and have to reset gear lash etc.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Found by searching for "pinion+seal+replace" with an author of "swartlkk":
rear-end leaking...

Others have posted this in the past as well.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

Ok so i don't have to pull the whole rear apart then is what i'm gleaning from this?

I can just replace the seal without replacing the crush sleeve? Just making sure. If I can get away with just replacing the seal and nothing else i'll do it myself...if not i'll either pay a shop to do it or wait till it goes completely and have the whole thing rebuilt.

I do have an impact gun, no air hammer or anything of the like though. Also would you recommend replacing u joints since they're being disturbed when removing the driveshaft to access the bolt? Mine are original and i do have new ones but i've been afraid to even undertake that task since if they ARE factory they're probably those stupid nylon filled ones that are apparently "fun" to remove.