Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Rebuild starts with my front end NEED ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 08:01 PM
thercholic is on a distinguished road
Default Rebuild starts with my front end NEED ADVICE

I have had my '99 for 10 years, and sounds like I'm one of the few with good luck. Normal wear has worn out the front end, replacing sway bar links, idler arm and will work through rest of it. Should I upgrade the sway bar (with what?). I plan on replacing all bushings, etc. Want to lift the suspension, but not body lifts. Rancho makes lift shocks for the front, but NOT for this. Any ideas. Does cranking the t-bar make a difference. Would like to run taller tires.
Love my truck.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:37 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by thercholic
I have had my '99 for 10 years, and sounds like I'm one of the few with good luck. Normal wear has worn out the front end, replacing sway bar links, idler arm and will work through rest of it. Should I upgrade the sway bar (with what?). I plan on replacing all bushings, etc. Want to lift the suspension, but not body lifts. Rancho makes lift shocks for the front, but NOT for this. Any ideas. Does cranking the t-bar make a difference. Would like to run taller tires.
Love my truck.
unless your racing, drifting, or take corners ar a good rate of speed there is no need to upgrade the sway bars.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Beginning Member
Leearchibald is on a distinguished road

you can crank the t-bars but it will make it ride like a tank and cause a little vibration,but if you don't really care about the ride and like wheeling then go for it but when you do a alignment you wont be able to the caster and camber in at the same time so it's one or the other and i choose caster.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:49 PM
thercholic is on a distinguished road

I may crank the t-bar and see if I like it, can always go back. Wish I could use the Rancho Quicklift shocks, but they don't make them for this vehicle

Old 11-11-2010, 10:19 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by thercholic
I may crank the t-bar and see if I like it, can always go back. Wish I could use the Rancho Quicklift shocks, but they don't make them for this vehicle
to put extra strain on your shock towers? and so they can fatigue usually and sag back down to sock level? they are more of a bandaid lift. you are better off cranking the tb's as even with the 'quicklift' shocks you are still changing cv/balljoint angles, etc... but by cranking tb's you are putting the extra 'stress' on the tortion bars(which they are designed for) insteaf of extra force on the shock towers(have heard of broken shock towers because of this)

rear just get shackles, cheap enough.