Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/)
-   -   replacing the front diff seal (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/replacing-front-diff-seal-67695/)

247monster 02-05-2012 08:20 PM

replacing the front diff seal

well...for the record im keeping the blazer =)
but i need to replace the front diff seal before i drive from MN to WA ...sooo i figured id post this before and see if anyone has any advice or anything lol
im planning on taking pics and posting it on here incase someone ealse wants to know how ..that way they can see how i did it atleast
so wish me luck and if you have some tips they are more then welcomed

ahmed_eng2001 02-12-2012 07:53 AM

good luck
i changed the back diff seal

02fbody35th 03-14-2012 07:52 PM

I was wondering how replacing your front diff seal went. Mine is leaking from the driver side where the cv shaft goes in and I was hoping for some advice

ahmed_eng2001 03-18-2012 11:52 AM

sorry for beeing late , im out of home
i have k5 silvrado , if u have the same car i would like to give help :)

247monster 03-18-2012 03:45 PM

ok well i forgot to take pics but..heres a genral step by step on how i did it
take wheel, brake, rotor off
then make sure u have a deep 36mm to take the axle out..atleast 2 and half inchs deep.
both ball joints and on the passenger side you have to take the shock off or just unbolt the bottom of it (thats what i did worked fine)

alright this is where if you dont hav the right tool u might have a problem
slide hammer and a hooked end sounds kinda ..simple..lol and maybe not that offical but instead of dropping and splitting the entire front end ...it worked great..simpley place the hook on the inside of the gasket and ...pound it out ...one you get it out grease the new seal alittle bit and uses eather a peice of pvc pipe thats about the same size of your gasket of if your luck and know someone that owns the gasket took (basicly a pvc pipe made to put gaskets in lol) tap it in..put everything back in

but if your goina do it ..check your ball joint and tirerod ends ..heck they are all right there might as well make sure they are all good while you have it apart

it really wasnt that bad i got it dont withing acouple hrs (counting both sides id say 4 ..4 and a half hrs)
this is how i did it i hope it helps you guys out
ps..get your seals from a dealer they are cheaper then at the parts stores and forsure the RIGHT seal haha

chevyman93 01-04-2013 01:49 PM

hey guys i did'nt want to douple post this so my front differential leak issue is with the pinion seal (the one to the driveshaft) i tried a couple weeks ago to replace the seal but could'nt find it at autozone, but any ways i removed the driveshaft,removed the nut holding the u-joint coupler on. Then when i got the taking the coupler off itself is where i had issues, it refused to come off even with taking a hammer to it. So i got the light closer and noticed some hard white foam light substance around the threads. Could this be thread lock someone put on there? I've owned the truck for about 5 months now. I did'nt know that was something normal on there, and i just need something to loosen that up, or if i'm screwed.

chestypuller 01-04-2013 01:53 PM

heat it with a torch

05BlackJimmy 01-04-2013 03:19 PM

Pretty sure there is a special tool that bolts onto where the u-joint goes that uses a bolt to pull the yoke out.

chevyman93 01-05-2013 04:08 PM

awsome i'll try a tourch then if that don't work ill find that tool, thx guys

dropwiser 03-15-2013 05:39 PM

I see they sell the bearing that goes right below the seal with the seal as a set, did you switch bearing too or just the seal? Thanks!