Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/)
-   -   Right front half shaft removal/replace (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/right-front-half-shaft-removal-replace-99711/)

okaussie 06-08-2019 11:28 AM

Right front half shaft removal/replace

I have an 02 s10 Crewcab. I need to rebuild the front axle disconnect. Thought I should also replace the Right half shaft. The vehicle has 210K miles on it and this half shaft has yet to be replaced..
Question, what is the the easiest way to remove the half shaft? I watched a video on a 98 Sonoma:
. This is exactly what I am doing, The problem is, there is not enough clearance to remove the half shaft from the hub like in the video.

I think the s10 is wider than the Sonoma thereby not enough clearance to remove completely the shaft from the hub.

Can anyone help with this dilemma?

TIA

Bill

cleburne red 06-08-2019 11:56 AM

By half shaft, do you mean cv axle?

Also, I'm pretty sure all the S series trucks are the same width. S10, Sonoma, Blazer, Jimmy, and bravada are all the same. The ZR2s were wider, though

okaussie 06-08-2019 12:02 PM

Yes, the cv axle. I can't seem to pull out the shaft enough to get it out of the hub like in the video...

cleburne red 06-08-2019 01:35 PM

I always just completely remove the hub. You already have to split one ball joint anyways, just do them both and make life easier.

Sometimes you can get enough to get it out, but I'm afraid I'll tear up the cv forcing it that hard

okaussie 06-11-2019 04:08 PM

Got the hub assy off. Attempted to pull out the CV Shaft. Came apart and left the last piece attached to the next axle shaft. I know it has a c-clip in it and that is the problem of getting it completely out.

Two questions:
1. How to remove the remaining part with no access to that clip (tried using the pickle fork and hammer as shown in the video, no go) and
2. Once it does come apart, Do I need to put the clip back in? Or can I just leave it out and slide the CV axle back in??

Remember is truck is 17 years old.

Thanks

Bill

cleburne red 06-11-2019 05:52 PM

It's not really a c clip, it's a friction ring. Only time I've messed with the slip in style cv axles like that, you just kinda beat on the backside of it, and drive it out. A couple good whacks, it'll pop right out. Same with going back. Maybe put a piece of wood on the end, tap it right in place

okaussie 06-11-2019 09:05 PM

Does the ring stay on the axle shaft or does it come out with the CV joint? I know the new CV joint has the groove for one but doesn't come with one.

How does this effect the other end in the differential by beating on it?

TIA

Bill

cleburne red 06-11-2019 09:14 PM

I thought it stayed with the axle.

Like I say, I've only messed with that style once, doing the bravada swap on my truck. Mine originally had the bolt on cv axles.

Are you replacing the right or left side? The right side cv axle has female splines, the actual axle shaft should have the friction ring/c clip.

Edit:, So, here's what it should look like.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/blazerf...905f4ba218.jpg
​​
(this is the non disconnect axle from a 2000 bravada, but the cv setup should be the same, I believe)

The cv end that goes into the axle tube is female splined. The axle shaft at the top has the male splines, and has the friction ring c clip in a groove on it

okaussie 06-11-2019 09:43 PM

Mine is the passenger side with the slide on CV axle. I am having a bear of a time getting that off and don't want to damage the end that goes into the gear into the front differential by hitting it too hard..

cleburne red 06-11-2019 09:58 PM

You're not gonna mess anything up. You'll be hitting the cv axle, and you're replacing that anyway, right?