Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Rim rubbing on control arm

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Beginning Member
Jimmy's Jimmy is on a distinguished road
Default Rim rubbing on control arm

I currently am running stock 2001 GMC Jimmy rims on 30's with a RC lift and add a leaf. Does anyone know how large of a wheel offset I would need to fix this problem OR how large of wheel spacers I would need. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Is it the top inside lip hitting the top of the control arms? If so I don't think the problem is the wheels I think whoever installed your lift for you cranked the tbars to far. If the bars are cranked to much the arms will be at to steep of an angle an that will cause the rub.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Beginning Member

It's hitting exactly where you described. I was hoping that was not the issue, but I think it is given the tbar situation I had. Ugh. Probably just gonna get some small spacers to solve it so I don't have to get the tbars tweaked and then a possible alignment again.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:12 AM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Man your geometry has to be screwed. Why dont you just lower the vehicle a little, get closer to specs and everything has to be better. Dont mod this to fix that.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:14 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

Jimmys jimmy... not to sound stupid but I dont think the stock rim will ever touch or rub the control arm. You dont mean the tire do you?

Old 07-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Beginning Member
Default rubbing

Okie, I hear ya, I didn't believe it either until I was having the body lift installed last week and I saw it. I'm pretty sure the geometry is correct on everything. They only rub (barely) when they are cranked all the way (very rare). I just ordered some rims for my 32's to solve it though.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:30 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

If geometry is correct and the wheel is oem for the model year it wont rub! Either the ball joints are severly worn, something is bent or you modified the vehicle out of spec to cause the malfunction.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

In tellin ya they cranked the tbars to much when they installed the lift. Take about 2 turns out of the tbar adjustment bolts and your problem will be fixed. The issue is that the upper arms are cranked to such a steep angle that they are not allowing the control arm to push the top of the tire away from the vehicle and with this angle comes your clearance problems. If all that makes sense lol!

Old 07-13-2013, 08:33 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

What rex said

Old 07-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Beginning Member

I cranked them down a bit and it solved the problem (stupid me), I appreciate the advice from everyone! New pics up soon with the 32's

Quick Reply: Rim rubbing on control arm