Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

SAS kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Starting Member
swells87 is on a distinguished road
Default SAS kit

hey guys I was looking at this kit here and was wondering what you think, I have an old pos 1990 jeep Cherokee with the d30 up front, could I use that axle with this kit? or would I have to get something different? Thanks for any input

Old 07-30-2013, 05:26 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I would think that D30 would work. It's not listed, but I would think it's the same D30 as in the wrangler they do have listed.

I really like that kit!! But for $600, they like it, too!! I might have to think about it when it comes time for my SAS. full bolt-on means I can do it in my driveway, instead of having my dad weld and fabricate for who knows how long!!

Old 07-30-2013, 05:45 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

The kit doesn't work well with the axle they have in the pic...it's offset to the passenger side. Decent start for an SAS. Your XJ axle will have link mounts instead of spring pads, but it should work with a bit of modification

Last edited by Diaita; 07-30-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:48 PM
Starting Member

Those were my thoughts exactly, especially if I already have an axle that will work, that saves me even more money, and that is cheaper than most lift kits.

I am not sure if that d30 is the way to go or not, I don't know if it is really much stronger than the stock IFS, however I dont imagine it would be all that much to pull a d44 out of a junk yard rig.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:54 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by swells87

I am not sure if that d30 is the way to go or not, I don't know if it is really much stronger than the stock IFS, however I dont imagine it would be all that much to pull a d44 out of a junk yard rig.
I've read that as long as you don't go bigger than 33", and as light (relatively) as our blazers are, a D30 will survive.

However, if you're going to go through all the cost and hassle of a SAS, I wouldn't put anything smaller than a D44 under it.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:10 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cleburne red
....if you're going to go through all the cost and hassle of a SAS, I wouldn't put anything smaller than a D44 under it.
Agreed.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:12 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

600 bucks for a few pieces of metal? eek. i fabbed my own up for my s10 but if i had to do it again i would just buy the kit theres so much work that goes into getting it just right under there. and i too vote for a 44. i do alot of offroading and see jeeps with smaller tires break d30s everytime im out there. im running fullsize 10 bolts and even they are pushing it with the 33 boggers. they are slowly falling apart but still holding

Old 07-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Starting Member

ok, so I will probably go with at least a 44 than , what would you guys recommend I pull one from? I don't want to have to get anything narrowed if I don't have to, and I am OK with a little bit wider than stock but this will continue to be a DD so I want it to remain drivable when all done.

How do you guys recommend I go about doing this?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:58 PM
BF Veteran

Check out (I think) 80+ wagoneers. They are within a few inches of the same width, and are driver side drop. I would get front and rear from the same vehicle, so your wheel bolts are the same. The gears will match, too, although you might need to re gear, anyway.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:12 AM
Starting Member

my plan is to get both the front and rear end out of a donor and completely rebuild them, new gears, lockers, brakes, the whole 9 yards before doing the swap. Of course none of that can happen until I finish moving, living in an RV doesn't make it very easy to do any of this stuff lol. I would like to stick with disk brakes all the way around as well

Quick Reply: SAS kit