Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Slightly Broken Leaf Spring

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 05:02 PM
glssmn2001 is on a distinguished road
Default Slightly Broken Leaf Spring

So for a while I have been hearing a slight clunking noise while driving down the side streets and no where else. I have not been able to find where it is from until now, maybe. Yesterday while replacing my brake pad bracket on the right rear I notice what appeared to be a totally worn bushing at the front mount of the leaf. Upon further inspection I noticed the leaf spring itself was broken where it curls up and around the bushing. Probably about 1 1/2 inches of spring just sitting there stuck in the area between the frame and spring, most likely bouncing around causing the noise I hear??

My question is first, since it has been quite a while driving like this how important/vital is its replacement and how immediate should it be done.

Second, where can i get such an item, I called around and it seems no one had a leaf and one ask for what suspension I had. They offered two choices a Z83 and a ZW7 ( I think) but it appears I have a Z85. I have a 2002 Blazer 4 door 2WD.

Third and last for now, it appears other than some rust it is just an un-bolt and bolt up kind of deal. Is this true ?????

Thanks for any and all replies in advance...

Old 06-18-2012, 06:36 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

get it fixed asap... leafs hold your rear axle in place... very dangerous, I did mine (non z85) with leafs from the junkyard, did an add-a leaf with the old broken ones too.those bolts are a bitch to get out if they're rusted in place, I used a ball joint press to get mine out cutting 1-2" off at a time because of my fuel tank(4-door model)

Old 06-19-2012, 12:40 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Just curious, is a "slightly broken leaf spring" like being slight pregnant?

If so, get it fixed immediately!!!

Old 06-19-2012, 06:24 AM
glssmn2001 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AJBert
Just curious, is a "slightly broken leaf spring" like being slight pregnant?

If so, get it fixed immediately!!!

Thanks for the smart *** reply, that is of no help.

I questioned it because it is missing about one inch of material off the end. If you are not gonna be helpful please do not post in my thread. Thanks...

My first post on a problem here ans this is the answer I get......

Old 06-19-2012, 07:25 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

AJBert gave VERY sound advice. Since the leaf spring is the ONLY thing holding the rear axle in place (as already stated), it is something you should replace sooner rather than later. He answered your first question very directly. Your reply was FAR more off-base than his. Responses like yours will result in NO ONE answering your posts.

Your RPO codes will detail the suspension you have. Any 'good' spring shop should be able to supply springs for your application.