Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road
Default Steering Pump

Ok i recently needed to put power steering fluid in my blazer it was low and making noise so i filled it up and thought nothing of it and then drive like less than 3 miles to the store and when leaving i had no power steering again and then i put more in and it was fine i also noticed that under the hood there was spray marks of power steering fluid and it looked like it was spraying out from the top some where and now i have to replace the whole pump which looks to damn hard, now is there a way to see if the tube are cracked and what not because i was thinking that it might not be the pump it self just maybe those lines, and i hope it the lines and they might be easier to fix because if it is the damn pump it self i am not doing it my self ill have a garage do it.

So let me know what ya think
Thanks,

Old 08-26-2009, 08:18 AM
Bberry20 is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem on a cherokee and what i did was have someone sit in the truck while you look at the hoses by the pump. I would start where the spray marks are and look around there. Have them start the truck and turn the wheel back and forth. If a hose is cracked you would be able to see the spray and where its coming from. Good luck hope that helps.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:15 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

As stated above, but clean everything up beforehand. Just be careful around the belt and fan when looking.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:27 PM

Ok today i found out that it was one of the hose's and i tried to patch with with a tire patch and then a clamp on top of that and waited about 8 hours and then started it up and it started leaking again what can i do to patch it?

Old 08-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the pressure line is leaking, you have to replace it. You cannot patch the high pressure line.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:55 AM

Yeah i tried that and still did not work like you said kyle, where does the other part of that pressure hose go it looks to go under the steering pump and the other end is pretty easy to get to but not sure about the other end that goes somewhere under the pump

Old 08-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It threads into the back of the pump. It can be "fun" to get this out!!

Old 08-28-2009, 04:42 PM

Hmmm ok well ill have to see what i can do then

Old 08-28-2009, 08:22 PM

ok i went and bought one today from advanced auto for 15 bucks, now kyle will i be able to switch this line without removing any components from the truck? i did not look yet because it is raining but i might be able to reach it from under the truck. So let me know if you have any idea thanks a bunch man

Old 08-28-2009, 10:48 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

Its a pain in the A** to get to if its the fitting in the back but it can be done with a lot of patience lol..It might be easier to rent the power steering pump pulley puller/installer tool from autozone or advance and remove the pulley to get to the bolts that hold the pump in place.When its removed, its a whole lot easier to work on.

Quick Reply: Steering Pump