Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/)
-   -   steering shaft upgrade (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/steering-shaft-upgrade-102338/)

richards2004 09-22-2020 12:38 PM

steering shaft upgrade

read somewhere that the grand cherokee steering shafts work for 04 blazers. if this is true who has done it.. whats the reasoning behind it and what year grand cherokees should be used for donor...

Tom A 09-22-2020 02:37 PM

It eliminates the "rag joint" at the steering box and replaces it with a "real" u-joint. It's easier, IMO, to just buy a replacement u-joint for the stock shaft from Flaming River or another aftermarket manufacturer.

richards2004 09-22-2020 03:23 PM

"You would have to measure the shaft. If it is a DD shaft measure on the round ends. If you have a spline shaft, measure the diameter and split the shaft in half and count the splines then double the number to get the complete count."....... This is what i was told in order to order a U-Joint

Tom A 09-22-2020 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by richards2004 (Post 727475)
"You would have to measure the shaft. If it is a DD shaft measure on the round ends. If you have a spline shaft, measure the diameter and split the shaft in half and count the splines then double the number to get the complete count."....... This is what i was told in order to order a U-Joint

This the Borgeson joint I used. If you do a quick search, it should be pretty easy to find a part number for the Flaming River joint, as well. Or you can use any joint with a 3/4" 30-spline on one end and 1" double D on the other.

2001ZR2 09-22-2020 09:18 PM

I used the flaming river to upgrade my truck and am really happy.

I chose it because the reviews on here and S10 forum but you can get one much cheaper

I don't paid as much as it is today but am happy.

Here's an amazon link

richards2004 09-23-2020 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tom A (Post 727483)
This the Borgeson joint I used. If you do a quick search, it should be pretty easy to find a part number for the Flaming River joint, as well. Or you can use any joint with a 3/4" 30-spline on one end and 1" double D on the other.

so the whole idea is to get rid of the coupler at the end which in point makes for a tighter feel for steering. because that is what i am experiencing. the alignment is good all brand new front end parts and i mean all. and steering is still a little off center so im thinking its either in the shaft or gear box. redcap gears said they have them in stock... never heard anything about them though since i dont know anyone who would use them. so if im going to keep the blazer why not be all new...

2004 Blazer ZR2 10-04-2020 06:41 PM

I just purchased the lower steering shaft that uses the factory upper shaft from Hooker (71223021HKR) 94-04 GM S10 steering shaft.