Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Steering Stabilizer: Worth adding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 09:53 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough
Default Steering Stabilizer: Worth adding?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to add a steering stabilizer to my blazer. I'm pretty utilitarian so I'm not one to add things unless there is a definite benefit to the truck.

In this case, would adding a steering stabilizer to the center-link help prevent wear-and-tear on my front end components? My non-pavement driving consists of mountain logging roads, in the snow in the winter (on pavement) and in the woods during hunting season. I'm not someone who goes 4-wheeling just for the sake of going 4-wheeling.

If a steering stabilizer is worth doing, any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 09-01-2018, 10:09 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

I have been considering the same thing recently actually. Would be interested in hearing some opinions from others who have installed one!

I've heard good things about adding one if you go up on tire size, such as minimizing bump-steering and side to side drifting.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:22 PM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

I haven't had on on any of mine, but I'm pretty certain they were an option on the s-series from the factory. I have seen ones with the mounting locations set up in the center link. Many other trucks come with them from the factory.

now, I couldn't imagine a stabilizer reducing wear on the front end, but as blazen said, they will help reduce sway in the steering. IMO it would be a worthwhile modification. Not only are they inexpensive and easy to install, but there are definitely benefits to them- especially on suv's that are known to be a little loose in the front end.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:56 AM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been researching this for a while as I'm considering it. According to everything I've found the stabilizer will decrease the wear on various parts (wheel bearings, etc) due to the lessening of side to side movement. if your rig is lifted and/or has oversize tires then even more so. I might pull the trigger after I get my to-do list emptied out a bit.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:16 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

I know that my 04 4x4 4 door has the frame mount for one, but I'd have to use the bracketry in a kit to mount the other end of the stabilizer to the steering link.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:14 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I installed one on mine. I got it from rough country. I noticed that she sways less. For the price of it, I'm happy with it. Very easy install as well.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:19 PM
BF Veteran

Old 09-02-2018, 05:18 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DonL
I installed one on mine. I got it from rough country. I noticed that she sways less. For the price of it, I'm happy with it. Very easy install as well.
This is perfect. I was considering the RC stabilizer, partly because it also came with the bracket to attach to the center link. What is also nice is knowing that our trucks are set up similarly (I think). How much lift do you have and what size tires? And it attaches to the fixed bracket on the K-member? Right?

Old 09-02-2018, 06:01 PM
BF Veteran

I got that at the same time I got the 2.5 lift kit. Installed all at once. Right now just got 235/75r15 on it. But going bigger next year when I need new tires. Used the stock mount on the frame, and the bracket for the centre link works better then I anticipated.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:06 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Mine came from the factory with one. I have no idea how it would handle without it. I'm not going to pull it off to find out, though!

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer: Worth adding?