Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Un-Filimiar Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Starting Member
Blazer_boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Un-Filimiar Noise

Hey Guys, I just recently bought my self a 2005 Blazer ZR2 and i am nothing but Impressed with this beauty.
I recently went on holidays and while away did some off roading.
So the problem started after about a 7 hour drive on my way back home.
There was a loud noise(sounded like big Tires on pavement) coming from the front passenger side as well as a bad vibration that could be felt throughout the truck. So i stopped at the nearest turn off in sort of a panic.
at about 40 km/h the noise just stopped and nothing came of it for a few days.
then i started having a issue i believe was related. To me it sounded as though something was binding and it has the same pattern as when a wheel bearing is going. only thing is it doesn't make any noise until its warmed up. I thought maybe a hub/bearing assembly but I'm not positive.
Any Thoughts?
Thanks

Old 08-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The first problem sounds like the front axle engagement partially engaged.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Starting Member

This would Make Sense Seeing as how i have been playing off road.
How would i go about testing this? go out to a gravel road pin it and see if the front tires leave marks?
or with that kind of power would it free up?

Old 08-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Old 08-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Starting Member

Okay so i had a read through and decided to go investigate. I removed the vacuum line that goes to the 4x4 actuator under the battery and didn't notice any vacuum until i engaged the 4wd. How ever when i engaged the 4wd and dis-engaged it the vacuum stayed. so i took it for a drive and when i got back the vacuum was not there until i engaged the 4wd again. this time after dis-engaging the vacuum was gone right away? i tested the cable and it was moving freely with no binding.
Im stuck lol.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Do you have a 3-button switch or 4-button switch (w/ auto4wd)?

Old 08-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Starting Member

Its a 3 button. I decided to do some more investigation into the matter and it appears my front passenger side hub/bearing assembly is toast. if i spin it by hand with no load it has a pit in it that gives a very rough feeling. If this is related to the first Problem i am not sure but i do know it is what is giving me current binding on the road.
I'm hoping that after i replace it i will not have the first indecent re-occur. I could be wrong tho.