Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

What are the differences betweens these?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Beginning Member
jayfire is on a distinguished road
Default What are the differences betweens these?

What are the differences between a raised steering arm and a drop pitman arm? I just put a used 6" all spring lift on my 85 K5 and I know I need to take it in for an alignment, but the turning radius to the right is not very good. Which of these do I need to fix this problem. One person at Les Schwab told me I need a drop pitman arm. Another person told me that I need this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ranch...item4cee57fd45 which will fix my right turn radius. Do I need them both? Could anyone point me in the right direction where I could find a drop pittman arm for an 85 K5 if infact I do need one? Thanks

Old 03-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A drop pitman arm is just that, a pitman arm that has a lower steering linkage mounting location. This is the part that mounts to the output shaft on the steering gear box.

A raised steering arm is also just that. A steering arm that has a raised steering linkage mounting location. This is the part that mounts to the steering knuckle at the driver side wheel.

They basically do the same thing. It just depends on how much lift you have as to how much correction you need to do to the drag link orientation. You want the drag link to be close to horizontal when the truck is on a flat level surface.

But if you really want to fix the problem for good, get a 2wd steering box and do the cross-over steering conversion. This conversion ditches the problematic drag link steering geometry (if you flex the suspension, you may loose steering travel in a certain direction) in favor of a long cross-over arm from the steering box over to the passenger side knuckle. You would need a flat top steering knuckle for the passenger side and then the conversion components (OffroadDesign.com sells them).

Old 03-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Beginning Member

So, do I need to take it in to the shop and they will let me know if I need the steering arm or pitman arm? Thanks

Old 03-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How much of a lift do you have?

If you've gone up 4", then you can use either a 4" raised steering arm or a 4" drop pitman arm. It all depends on the clearance you have to work with. For instance, a 4" drop pitman arm can potentially cause clearance problems with the leaf spring.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Beginning Member

I think its a 6" lift with 35" tires. So, should I go with the raised steering arm? Do they come in different sizes-4", 6", ect... Where would I find these arms at? A website? I want to make sure I have all the parts I need when I take it up to have an alignment done, so they can install the correct part at the same time. Thanks