Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Steering components 2001 ZR2 vs LS

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 08:13 PM
Beginning Member
Vond88 is on a distinguished road
Default Steering components 2001 ZR2 vs LS

My question; are there different types of steering components in the ZR2 vs an LS?? Specifically outer tie rods and sway bars?

I have a 2001 Blazer ZR2(LS). I thought it was a ZR2 when I was buying it but the guy I bought it from insisted it wasn’t (even seemed offended that I suggested it) and said that it was only cosmetically made to look like one.
I've learned the hard way that he was wrong. My Blazer is a ZR2 minus the ZR2 graphics. I also figured out that the ZR2 is different in many ways and has many different parts. The site I order from uses your VIN to determine which parts will fit your vehicle. I ordered a 16 piece front end rebuild kit (2 hubs, 2 inner and 2 outer tie rods, 2 lower and 2 upper ball joints, 2 sway bar links, centre link bar, idler arm and pitman arm). I figured that because it used my VIN it would be the right one for my truck. plus it was a steal at $143 and change with free shipping.
I got the parts and had been changing them as i had time. Got the hubs and ball joints done now with no problem. Was about to start on the steering but noticed my parts do not look the same as what is on there now. The outer tie rods on my truck are longer tthan what I have in my kit. I ran into rhe same problem with my cv axle so I figured they were different. Can’t find anything online about it. Im sure its somewhere tho.
Its my daily driver so I don’t want to start taking it apart if i have the wrong parts. The majority of them are seized together and will not be reusable if i can’t put the new ones in. Sorry for the long backstory I’m new to this forum and don’t want to leave anything out.
PS - Does the ZR2 not have sway bars?

Old 07-14-2018, 11:05 PM
Beginning Member
steveduns is on a distinguished road

I have a 2000 LS with ZR2 package and didn't even realize it when I first bought it. When I pulled the motor and decided to paint the engine bay I found a sticker on the firewall from the plant that said ZR2 on it. Started researching differences after that. The ZR2 has a 3.9 inch wider track, larger wheel & axle bearings, and mine does have sway bars but that extra width is going to make a lot of parts not interchangeable. There's more but I can't remember now since it was a while back. There are several other threads on here about this and they have links that spell out the differences but all the links I find now don't work anymore they're so old. I'm sure someone here can give you more info. You would think ordering by VIN would be the best way to make sure you get the right parts.

Last edited by steveduns; 07-14-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:46 AM
Starting Member
2004 Blazer is on a distinguished road

Many Parts suppliers mistakenly sell regular S10 suspension parts as ZR2 parts. I'd bet your source used your VIN for the year only and disregarded the ZR2 option. ZR2's ( 4 " wider track in rear, 2" wider in front ) have unique A-Arms, CV shafts, shocks and as you already know tie rod ends also. Other parts are interchangeable.

Last edited by 2004 Blazer; 07-15-2018 at 03:54 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:03 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 2004 Blazer
Many Parts suppliers mistakenly sell regular S10 suspension parts as ZR2 parts. I'd bet your source used your VIN for the year only and disregarded the ZR2 option. ZR2's ( 4 " wider track in rear, 2" wider in front ) have unique A-Arms, CV shafts, shocks and as you already know tie rod ends also. Other parts are interchangeable.
Thanks man. I got them from autoshack.com. Used to be primechoice.ca. They’re pretty good with returns. I was just worried since half the parts are already installed and they were bought as a kit. Another question; Is the track in the front wider than in the back? Mine is by about 2in. I have no way of getting in touch with the original owner to find out any history. And the guy I bought it from doesn’t know **** about it. So I’m learning things by trial and error.

Last edited by Vond88; 07-16-2018 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Mistakes
Old 07-16-2018, 01:29 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Vond88

Thanks man. I got them from autoshack.com. Used to be primechoice.ca. They’re pretty good with returns. I was just worried since half the parts are already installed and they were bought as a kit. Another question; Is the track in the front wider than in the back? Mine is by about 2in. I have no way of getting in touch with the original owner to find out any history. And the guy I bought it from doesn’t know **** about it. So I’m learning things by trial and error.
Here is a measurement to go by. All ZR2's are the same track width, equal front and rear. 122.9, 61.12, 61.12 -- 1994 - 2003 chevy zr2 extended cab, four wheel drive.http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ments#GM_truck
The ZR2 Package
The ZR2 package was only offered on the 2 door Blazer as the 2 door had the shorter wheelbase. It had a wider ladder type frame which made the track for the truck approx. 3.9 inches wider. It also lifted the Blazer about 3 inches which made it be able to clear 31x10.5 tires on 15 inch wheels. An enhanced front (7.25" ring gear) and rear (8.5" ring gear) axles w/ 3.73:1 rear-axle ratio. Larger wheel and axle bearings. A front anti-sway bar, skid plates, Bilstein shocks, and a beefier rear axle. This package was a little over $1000 and it was first introduced on the S10 pickup in 1994 and was carried over to the Blazer in 1996. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_S-10_Blazer

Old 07-17-2018, 05:47 AM
Beginning Member
Default Thanks man.

Here is a measurement to go by. All ZR2's are the same track width, equal front and rear. 122.9, 61.12, 61.12 -- 1994 - 2003 chevy zr2 extended cab, four wheel drive.http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ments#GM_truck
The ZR2 Package
The ZR2 package was only offered on the 2 door Blazer as the 2 door had the shorter wheelbase. It had a wider ladder type frame which made the track for the truck approx. 3.9 inches wider. It also lifted the Blazer about 3 inches which made it be able to clear 31x10.5 tires on 15 inch wheels. An enhanced front (7.25" ring gear) and rear (8.5" ring gear) axles w/ 3.73:1 rear-axle ratio. Larger wheel and axle bearings. A front anti-sway bar, skid plates, Bilstein shocks, and a beefier rear axle. This package was a little over $1000 and it was first introduced on the S10 pickup in 1994 and was carried over to the Blazer in 1996. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_S-10_Blazer

So for some reason the front end track on my blazer is two inches wider than the rear. Any idea why that could be? Also you said the ZR2 had different shocks? How different are they? I had to put new shocks in mine and ordered them from the same site I usually buy from. Once again it picked them using my VIN. Would they still fit if they were? I installed them about 3mo ago and they seem to be ok so far.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:04 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Vond88

So for some reason the front end track on my blazer is two inches wider than the rear. Any idea why that could be?
Measure the front track width to determine what model you have 61" ZR2, 57" LS. The previous owner may have swapped the rear axle or you may not have a ZR2. Post some pics of the A-Arms and frame mounts, also the rear spring forward mount is different on the ZR2.

On the inside of the glove box door is a sticker with a bunch of letters and numbers, grouped in 3s. Look for that option code (ZR2). If it's not on the sticker, you don't have that option.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:10 PM
Beginning Member

Measure the front track width to determine what model you have 61" ZR2, 57" LS. The previous owner may have swapped the rear axle or you may not have a ZR2. Post some pics of the A-Arms and frame mounts, also the rear spring forward mount is different on the ZR2.

On the inside of the glove box door is a sticker with a bunch of letters and numbers, grouped in 3s. Look for that option code (ZR2). If it's not on the sticker, you don't have that option.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:15 PM
Beginning Member

I couldn't find any stickers in the glove box. I used the vin decoder and this is what I got.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:30 PM
Beginning Member

Height front and back. It has 31in BF Goodrich All Terrains on it.

Quick Reply: Steering components 2001 ZR2 vs LS