Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Wheel studs

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 01:10 PM
tom1337 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wheel studs

Has anyone had this happen: I have 33X12.5 on my full size and have never had any problems but the other day comming home I was having loud popping noises intermittently. I thought u-joints, I put the blazer in the air, needed a rear brake job anyway.

But here is the strangething: 4 of my 6 wheel studs on my right front were snaped right off the other two I could turn by hand. I checked every other wheel and everything was fine. []

Anybody have any clues?

Thanks
Tom

Old 12-15-2006, 01:15 PM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Wheel studs

is there any damage to the rim?
You talking the lug nuts or the wheel studs from the hub?

If you could post a pic of the issue it would help in figuring out what might had happened.

Old 12-15-2006, 03:24 PM

I do not see any damage to the rim, I have included pics of it above as well as pics of the wheel studs.

*EDIT by swartlkk* - fixed your image tags. Caps can't be used in tags.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes! That doesn't look good...

Old 12-15-2006, 06:09 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

That wheel is definately damaged the mounting holes have some small noticable to me at least oblongation to some of the holes...I would recomend you not use that rim except as an emergency spare.

By the looks of the rust near the breaks it looks like it might have been that way and finally sucommed to fatigue, they are easy to replace but i would replace all six to be sure that the other two don't fail on you and they are cheap parts compared to accident repairs....

Old 12-15-2006, 07:34 PM
kornphlake is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll second 20blazer00's opinion, it lookslike a cyclic fatigue failure on at least one of the studs. Pound out the old ones and put in new ones, they aren't terribly expensive. While you're at it I'd inspect the studs on the other 3 wheels.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:52 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

I would ditch the rim.

If it is ever usedand you are involved in an accident, you may be cited for it. (Upon police inspection.)
Torque the lug nuts next time.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:01 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

You sir, are one lucky man.
Stop what ever your doing and go buy a lotto ticket.

I hgihly recommend you replace all your studs as soon as you can afford it.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:04 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like someone either loosened them or they were not torqued to (tire size 110 ft lbs)

And how long has that thing been sitting? Look at all that build up on the rotor. Is this your weekend toy?

With as rusted as those studslook, they were due to be replaced (@ $2.34 for Grade 8's its worth it)

And that RIM is way over due. I would use that rim for a spare on my trailer. There is no way I would run a RIM like that for a daily driver, maybe for an off road junker.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that not many of us can go out and spend the [sm=bling.gif]for nice RIMS and all. But safety first. A good set of second hand RIMS even from a newer truck run about $20 to $50 per RIM from your local bone yard.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:44 AM

Had to go shopping, I'm back.
I had the same thought as MNHawk that they were loosened.None of the others are. It goes on the road 2 to 3 times a week. The ball joints, arms,axle u-jointsand rotors were all replaced about 100 miles ago before that it had been sitting for a year on the previous owners lawn The driving was a mix of highway and back roads.

I am not sure about the rims, I am going to mic. them to get a better idea oftheir condition..

Cyclic fatigue failure is a very good possibilitysince it had been off the road for a year before I got it, and the studs were pressed out of the old rotors and pressed in the new ones, this could be the cause.

I have never encountered such a thing before seemed really strange.
Looks like a trip to the partsstore for rimsand some new studs are on the way.

4lowlife:
As for torquing the lug nuts and police inspection. I think I would know if they are torqued properly and what is legal and not legal since I have been a New York State motor vehicle inspector for 17 years. It is not the job of law enforcement officers to inspect vehicles or to guess which part might be fatigued and ready to fail.Nor is it my job asan inspector to x-ray parts for fatigue or guess what, when and where a part may fail.

Quick Reply: Wheel studs