Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/)
-   -   ZR2 rear axle? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/zr2-rear-axle-41700/)

huntersblaze 03-04-2010 09:09 PM

ZR2 rear axle?

I found a ZR2 rear axle out of a 2000 S10 with disc brakes on craigslist for $125. How hard would it be to put it under my 1998 Blazer with disc brakes. I think 2 doors have a different sway bar set up, with it in front of the axle instead of behind (would this be a problem). Also maybe a different brake line setup? By the way my blazer has 3.73 gears and the ad says he doesn't know the gearing on the axle but I think most of them were 3.73 too. I would just like to know if it would be possible or if I even have to tools or the know-how to do something like this.

old skool luvr 03-04-2010 11:46 PM

a few questions for you.........

why are you wanting to swap out your rear diff?

how do you know it's from a ZR2? (did you measure it?)

you do know that the ZR's have a wider track than a regular "S" series 4x4, right?

don't assume (you know what that breaks down into, right?) what the ratio is, figure it out, it's not difficult. FYI (in case you didn't know) divide the ring (larger #) by the pinion (smaller #). these two numbers are right on the ring gear itself, and looks like this, 43:11, which breaks down to a 3.91:1 ratio.

huntersblaze 03-05-2010 04:50 PM

I'm thinking about swapping the rear diff because I want to get spacers for the rear but if I could get a 4 inch wider rear end without spacers for the same price with a little more work, then it might be worth it. The craigslist ad says it is from an s10 zr2, and the ad said it didn't know the ratio, I have emailed the seller and I am waiting on a reply. I was just wondering how difficult of a process it would be to change them out because I have never done anything like this before.

Benedict1337 03-05-2010 05:31 PM

it shouldn't be too hard if you know what you are doing. cool thing about zr2s is the locking diff. I'm going to attempt this sometime this spring/summer thats a pretty good deal on the axle too.

96Blazernut 03-05-2010 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Benedict1337 (Post 308380)
it shouldn't be too hard if you know what you are doing. cool thing about zr2s is the locking diff. I'm going to attempt this sometime this spring/summer thats a pretty good deal on the axle too.

As long as the front and rear diff's match its a bolt in operation. Jack your up. unbolt everything then slide the new one in. Put it back together. If the bolts cooperate you can do in one day, with time for beer afterwards. The nice thing about the ZR2 is its a lot stronger than the stock Blazer diff. Good luck with it.

And the locking G80 is a bonus as well

Benedict1337 03-05-2010 09:05 PM

Gotta love the g80

NVANZEE 03-06-2010 08:52 AM

I would recommend getting new u-bolts too. Your are only supposed to use them once.
Thats a good price too. Im putting on in mine in a few weeks and the cheapest i found was $300 and thats with my dealer discount

huntersblaze 03-06-2010 05:39 PM

Damn, I called the guy to buy it after I got of work today and he said he already sold it that fast, thanks for the replies and info anyways.

Benedict1337 03-07-2010 10:01 AM

check the local junk yards maybe you will get lucky

wlorton 03-07-2010 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Benedict1337 (Post 308455)
Gotta love the g80

There is much love as well as much hate.... I like mine :)