Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Street N Strip (https://blazerforum.com/forum/street-n-strip-26/)
-   -   I want some road trip stories. (https://blazerforum.com/forum/street-n-strip-26/i-want-some-road-trip-stories-66765/)

99Legendary 01-08-2012 07:21 PM

I want some road trip stories.

Hey guys, I am new here at these forums. I have been lurking and found a lot of interesting things and so far I am enjoying my stay.

I am making this thread because there are very few road trip stories in this forum, which I have read them all.

At the moment, I have a 1989 Acura Legend. Yes, I bought it to have fun in and screw around only for 650$. Well, little did I know, once you fix something, something else breaks and requires more maintenance, I have had it for over a year, and it has been having problems ever since and I am tired of dumping money into it.

I decided enough is enough and went to look at new cars. I saw a few neons for a great deal, I was looking for something stick if it was a car, and auto or stick if it was a truck. Well the neons fell through, and I spotted a 1999 Chevy Blazer in the corner of the dealership. It is in really good condition, 146k miles, blue. I took it for a test drive and fell in love with it because of its comfortable environment I guess you would say. I like how everything is closer together instead of spaced out like an exploder, but it also has enough room for storage. I am getting the blazer wednesday or thursday and I am glad I am making this purchase.

Anyway, since my acura couldn't take me on any real road trip without getting down the street overheating, I hope the blazer will.

I live in pennsylvania, I am looking to travel to Florida which would probably be the furthest, but also I want to travel to Delaware atleast 6-7 times a year. How good would a blazer be for a trip down to the beach in delaware or florida. Would you recommend it?

I want to hear some road trip stories, how the blazer drove, how much it costed, how it felt driving for a long distance, how comfortable it was, etc.

Rottidog 01-08-2012 09:06 PM

Wow, long story but that's information for ya.
Personally a blazer on a long haul is not the best mileage wise. If you want to be sure footed in whatever mother nature tosses at you or at least have a possible way out YES.
The boyscout in me always wants to be prepared & to be the one that's able to help someone (because of a very good 4x4 platform) it's great.
Comfortwise they're decent, I've made a few 220mile each way trips & I was fine with it. Regularly haul a 3500lb boat & trailer 2 1/2 hrs @ (75mph off n on) every weekend (or so I try) & it hauls it fine comfortwise.

It's the mileage that'll bite you in the ass, people will be comfortable, you'll feel safe n secure with the ability of a good 4wd platform (if G80 equipped - rear locker & what you may get into & out of).
So it's up to you, comfort is there, security is there, ability is there, storage is sort of there = now pay for it!

You're on a blazer forum so you're going to see a lot of blazer issues. Same can be said for an acura forum, or toyota etc.
Everytime I open the forum main page I see new issues, makes me think a blazer is bad! Go to a honda forum, you'll see the same things. It's a vehicle that has bad owners, neglect, abuse because some are 4wd? All vehicles have been down that road.
But all in all it's a capable vehicle that does more than a car & is sofaking fun off road! lol

99Legendary 01-08-2012 10:43 PM

Thanks for the comment! I love the idea of being able to take this somewhere and get through anything that tries to stop me on the way. I also love the idea of being able to give a hand to someone in need!

I know what you mean about all the issues people post on forums, I am a member of legend forums and it is the exact same way there. I see many things like "i hate my blazer" and then I will see threads like "I LOVE my blazer"

So, you said it is bad mileage wise for trips, but is it a road trip vehicle? Other than the mileage, would you recommend it for a road trip?

Rottidog 01-09-2012 12:16 PM

Yeah it's a good road trip vehicle. Lots in here have commented about long trips with their blazers. One guy in Winnipeg has taken his to BC a few times, now that's a long haul from Manitoba.

christian1984 01-14-2012 02:32 PM

I have my Blazer for almost 2 years. Bought it as a hobby, made some modifications, put a lot of money in it.

But I like to drive it. german people look at you, as if you do something forbidden.
Cops never stop me, because they donīt have any idea of the car, old men go crazy.

I like it. They hate me for that car, they hate me for guzzling gas, they hate me for the little confederate flags on the doors.

They can kiss my a**.

I like the feeling to drive my Blazer.

Kknd310 01-15-2012 11:00 AM

This past fall my family and I moved from Vegas out to chicago. Had to drive seeing as we wanted to keep all of our stuff hah. Anyways, my brother drove the moving truck and i tailed behind in my 98 blazer. Even though the 1700 mile trip was long as hell (due to a few break downs on the FORD moving truck) i had a blast in my blazer. Had some great music, lots of comfort, had NO problems driving through the rocky mountains while being fully loaded and pulling a small trailer (the blazer also has 30X9.5 tires set at 45 PSI) . To my surprise i ended up getting around 20 MPG on the open roads. I would really recommend taking a trip in these vehicles. im actually planning a trip down to Louisiana this spring.

metroid_killer@hotmail.com 01-15-2012 01:34 PM

Last year me and my 2 brothers took my 2001 2dr LS down to Florida from Mass to install a hardwood floor at my sistershouse. Our niece devloped a severe allergy to the carpet in the house. A few days before going down the neighbors dog (a pit) broke thru the fence and mauled their dog. Road trip down was a blast 19 hrs straight without issues at all then we got to Florida. So we had to install the floor with her and her family in the way cause all the money for hotels went to the vet to save the dog. It was 95 degrees out we again are from Mass so we were used to the 30 degree weather at home it sucked. Then the neighbors dog broke thru the fence again. I had to threaten to beat the owner to death with my hammer cause he didnt care about the damage or menace his dog was to anyone else. He disappeared for a week after the neighboors heard me screaming at him and they all said kill him we hate him and no one will call the police! One person offered to dig the grave! So then we were done with the floor and it looked great, we recieved no payment at all (thanks sis) except gas and tolls for our 4 days of nonstop work. On the way home we were the 1st on the scene of a multifatality car wreck in south carolina. It was the most horrific thing ive ever scene literally bodies and bones and wreckage everywhere. The rest of the drive was a piece of cake the Blazer had no issues and to top it off at the 160000 miles the Blazer had at the time it was its 4th trip to Florida and we will be going again in 5 weeks now with 170000 on it. I love my 2dr LS. next time chevy wants to do a retro makeover bring the Blazer BACK!

ohsofly 01-15-2012 02:08 PM

When I lived in BC I was driving down the Hiway 1 at night when I saw a car burst into flames in the dark in what looked like the ditch, me and another 2 cars stopped and the car on fire was past the ditch on the other side of a fence actually. There was flames 30 feet high coming out all windows and nobody could go near in case it blew up. We stood and watched for 5 min till the firetrucks came. You could see a body writhing in the flames in the driver seat, it was horrifying as well. Ended up being a gang murder of some sort and the people who dumped the car probably didnt know the hiway 1 was on the other side of the fence in the dark, they just drove down a dark road and killed the guy and lit the car up in the darkness. Not really a road trip, but something that happened that will be in my memory while I was driving the blazer.

My Blazer also yanked a full loaded trailer through the Rockies with no problems but got horrible milage due to the spider leak.

Yeah the Blazers allright for road trips, got loud tunes, can go offroad in the cool spots you find, its cheap to fix... I like mine.

smaiwald 01-15-2012 04:39 PM

I drive the 800 mile round trip between home and college 4 times during the school year for breaks. I have a 2001 ZR2 with 111000 miles on it. I havent had any problems during the trip with it. Its comfortable to ride in and its fun to drive.

My only complaint is the fuel mileage, I usually get 18mpg on this trip. But I didnt buy it for the fuel economy.

AJBert 01-15-2012 10:23 PM

I just drove down to the local store about a mile and a half away to get a 12 pack and my power ball numbers. No problems what so ever.

Oh, and I drive it to CO every year to hunt.