Street N Strip Post your vacation driving stories, day at the track, breakdowns, safety issues, driving techniques, unique driving conditions, etc. STREET RACING STORIES ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

s10 as racecar

Old 09-15-2020, 07:06 PM
kc8oye is on a distinguished road
Default s10 as racecar

has anyone ever run an S10 lowered, and setup as a road-race truck? was thinking about my options to get into some track days at the local road course.. really want something RWD.. i was thinking a 2.5L / 5spd s10 would be a great start.. eventually add a turbo to the 2.5.. etc.
drop it right to the ground, put a 4 link in the back....

Old 09-16-2020, 12:43 AM
Cimmerian is on a distinguished road

I know people have modded their S10 pickups to be dragsters and whatnot.

You can turn anything into a racer with the right amount of time and money.

Old 09-19-2020, 04:58 PM
kc8oye is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Cimmerian
I know people have modded their S10 pickups to be dragsters and whatnot.

You can turn anything into a racer with the right amount of time and money.
that is very true :>

Old 10-23-2020, 10:22 AM
tmlittle is on a distinguished road

I am going to do something similar. I think it also requires a lot of research to do it right. Are you thinking autocross or other? I live in Utah and we have a lot of rally racing as well. My 93 S10 Blazer is powered by an older '96 Chevy LT1. It is a riot to drive as is but could use a ton of work to autocross.
My thoughts on the matter it will cost thousands and my Blazer might be worth 1000 :-) So once again I will be spraying money down an empty pit
Needs:
All new bushings - research this cuz some swear by hard body mounts and some do not
A-arms - helps to improve these over stock. I have seen what drifters use and they have the ability for the front wheels to have a crazy turning radius
Fat anti-sway bar front and back. There are supposedly some stock ones that are pretty good
adjustable coil overs and would help (stance and dial in how you want it to handle)
In the back there is a lot or a little. I weld so this winter I am taking the body off (I Hope) and boxing the frame to add additional torsional strength.
Rear suspension I think is tricky and again would at least benefit from coil overs.
I love a lowered stance and one could argue (physics and stuff...) that it helps - lowers the COG. How much would dictate how much $$$$$$$ you are will to spend.
The nice thing is you could attack one of these at a time and not necessarily drain your bank account if that is a concern.
In autocross I do not think engine performance is as critical - you need to be quick and gobs of traction. I have yet to do it so I am guessing a bit.