Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/suspension-tech-12/)
-   -   1999 Tweak (https://blazerforum.com/forum/suspension-tech-12/1999-tweak-2928/)

tbirr 03-22-2006 02:53 PM

1999 Tweak

I'd like to tweak the suspension on my 1999 Blazer LT 4WD a bit. It has an OEM installed towing package and as far as I know all the suspension components are stock. The vehicle has 85M miles on it. I was told by a trusted mechanic that the ball joints are slightly loose. I notice that over speed bumps I get a little too much rebound from the shocks. There's a bit too much body roll for my liking. I'll probably never take the truck off road, but would like a tighter, more responsive feel. The tires are P235-70 and are in pretty good shape. Any suggestions?

4lowlife 03-22-2006 03:00 PM

RE: 1999 Tweak

Get new shocks, non gas type. They are somewhat bouncy on the highway. IMO. You can opt for larger "solid" sway bars. That'll improve handling. Get those ball joints replaced, heck get everything done in there. idler arm, outer tie rods, check inners too. You can purchase the sway bar connect links seperately if you do not get new sway bars.

swartlkk 03-22-2006 03:25 PM

Yup, what he said^^^

I had to install new shocks all the way around on my Bravada right after picking it up. I installed the Monroe Reflex shocks on the front, and Monroe Sensatraks w/ Load Assist (coil overs) on the rear (due to the extra carrying capacity that I needed). Much better ride. I also replaced the ball joints and the swaybar endlinks. Next on my list is the idler & pitman arms, and the tie rod ends (atleast check the tierod ends)...

tbirr 03-22-2006 06:53 PM

What do you mean by "non-gas" shocks?? I looked at several major shock manufacturers web sites and it seemed like all their products were nitrogen charged. If I remember correctly, the nitrogen acts as a kind of pre-charge that smooths out the dampening action over the range of motion. Is that not good or are there other effects that are undesirable?

4lowlife 03-22-2006 07:34 PM

Thats a gas shock.

tbirr 03-22-2006 07:38 PM

What brand of non-gas shocks would you recommend?

swartlkk 03-22-2006 07:41 PM

I believe that just about all shocks now are gas charged... I don't see the need for a 'non-gas' charged shocks...

4lowlife 03-22-2006 07:41 PM

I still have stock OEM's. I'll pobably get some cushy Monroes in a year. Ask Kyle how he likes his.

cherryred4x4 03-23-2006 01:53 AM

I agree with Kyle, almost every shock is gas charged nowadays. Find a good set of adjustable shocks. I've found the Blazer is much more responsive and predictable by adjusting the front and rear shocks differently. Took a while to figure the balance out, but it helps a ton over stock. About 1/2 the body roll from the stock shocks. I've got the Ranchos, which are pretty expensive, luckily I didnt pay for them, they were already on it. Theyre set to 7 out of 9 in the front and 4 out of 9 in the rear. Someone else makes an affordable adjustable shock for the Blazer, I'm sure. You can also get some stiffer sway bar bushings and end links which will help. Best thing to do is go to www.LMCtruck.com, get yourself a catalog, they carry lots of parts for your Blazer.

Hanr3 03-23-2006 05:50 PM

Fork out the dough and buy Bilstiens. Cheap shocks will wear out sooner. Get gas charged shocks. The gas charge keeps foaming to a minumum. Foaming is shock fad, and it happens on washboard roadsor anytime the shocks are worked hard repeatedly. Cheap shocks will fad much sooner then good shocks. This is one area you get what you pay for. 02