Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

83 Blazer Comfortable Suspension and Handling

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 12:28 PM
'83blazer is on a distinguished road
Default 83 Blazer Comfortable Suspension and Handling

I have an 83 blazer with, I wanna say 33" tires on it and a 4" lift. This of course is going to change the way it handles and drives, but I was wondering what are some ways to improve suspension and steering? I don't take it wheeling very much, mostly to the beach and maybe up in the snow, therefore I don't need anything too rugged for suspension, so I was wondering what are some improvements I can make to the suspension to make it more comfortable? When I got my lift they gave me heavy duty springs, I think I had 6 in the back and 4 or 5 in the front. I don't tow anything so I removed a couple and have I think 3 in the back and 2 in the front, which has softened it up a bit but seems very janky and I'd like something a little more legit.
On top of the bad suspension, the steering has gotten really bad, and after some research I am guessing the frame has cracked at the steering box. If so, what is a good reinforcement plate for that? Is there anything else that should help with steering, especially with having bigger tires? I have some steering stabilizers on there but I didn't notice a difference at all. I know it's an old truck with bigger tires so it's not ever going to drive like a Cadillac, but it's gotten to the point where I'm just trying to stay on the road and out of the ditch haha.
Thanks in advance

Question Summary
What are some suspension upgrade I can to for a more comfortable ride?
What are some steering box frame reinforcement kit recommendations?
What are some steering upgrades to reduce wobble and looseness, and increase handling?