Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/suspension-tech-12/)
-   -   99' Jimmy sas,... one tons from a 2000+ fullsize (https://blazerforum.com/forum/suspension-tech-12/99-jimmy-sas-one-tons-2000-fullsize-40588/)

Cuddie 02-09-2010 09:22 PM

99' Jimmy sas,... one tons from a 2000+ fullsize

Anyone swapped in one tons from a newer chev, with abs, auto locking hubs etc.? It would be nice to keep my push button 4x4, abs etc. I have to admit, it's nice to not have to get out. Has anyone out there seen it or done it? I've seen sas' but they all used older axles. My truck is very clean, i wheel it but take care of it, i would like to keep everything working as it was intended.
P.s. I'm a heavy duty mechanic so fabrication is not an issue.

old skool luvr 02-09-2010 11:57 PM

this sounds like the start of a build thread titled, "how to make a modern day S5" kinda a take on a K5/"S" series hybrid.

and leave it to a fellow Canadian to start on this adventure. :icon_wink:

notice you're really new here (like 2 posts new), so let me be the first to say, "welcome to the show".

AJBert 02-10-2010 12:47 AM

The front end on the newer GM's (from the '90s to present) is IFS and will require MAJOR fabrication to get it to fit, plus you need to look at the width of the axles compared to what you currently have. Dodge and Ford both have solid axles in the 3/4 and one ton trucks. Much easier to put in a solid axle than swap to a heavier IFS axle. It can be done but not worth the effort, IMHO.

Cuddie 02-11-2010 08:34 PM

First, I'd like to say thanks for the welcome. Second, i haven't spend much time looking at one tons yet. i just thought it'd be a cool truck. I've seen lots of stuff that was lifted and sas'd but not much that made me say Awesome! well except my buddy's k5,... 2.5 ton rockwells, doubled transfercase, 454 with headers out the hood, almost 9 feet tall, oh yeah... and 53's. But even that was a total bush truck. i like the trucks that are built well look good and perform well. Something about a truck with 20 grand into it that's only worth 3 kinda bugs me. You guys should see my 2 wheel drive 91 fullsize.

old skool luvr 02-11-2010 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cuddie (Post 299058)
. You guys should see my 2 wheel drive 91 fullsize.

ThAt'S iT! we demand pic's.......NOW!!! (hey, you're the one that said we should see it. :icon_shrug:)

Cuddie 02-16-2010 08:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This poor old girl was my daily driver, then i fell asleep behind the wheel... it sucked. But when fixing something, why not go for an upgrade? That kinda took on a life of it's own! I first fixed the frame, after tearing her down. Then rebuilt the suspension, steering, brakes. Then moved on to the body. I built hinges out of the bumper mounts and cut off the radiator support mounts and built them into the hinges, they just bolt on. I used oil impregnated brass bushings and hardened steel pins in the hinges and made the greasable. I had to cut up the inner and outer fenders and do a lot of sheet metal work to make the fenders look like they are supposed to be like that. I still have a lot of work to do but hey I'd be bored otherwise! The motor will be next.

I forgot to say the fenders need to be aligned, and i need to replace the driver's side door, there's a crease in the leading edge of it. Oh and the front end is only half open in that picture. It goes just over 90°.