Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/suspension-tech-12/)
-   -   I've decided on a 5" lift but... (https://blazerforum.com/forum/suspension-tech-12/ive-decided-5-lift-but-67494/)

97Beater4WD 01-30-2012 04:29 PM

I've decided on a 5" lift but...

I dont know which one I want to get....

I've been reading around here a lot and feel the best choice for me would be a 5" lift for my 97 blazer. I plan to do all the work myself to keep costs down although it will be my first truck lift...i have plenty experience in tuning cars/turbos/engines but when it comes to suspension...it will be somewhat of a first..
From what I gather on here, the BDS OR SUPERLIFT would be the best 5" lift to get..my question is: is there other/better 5" lifts out there and what major problems would I run into in the installation... I'm not looking to spend too much of an arm and a leg...maybe $2,000-$2,500...gunna try to keep it under $3,000 in total mods...the blazer has 215,000miles on it and I just got BFG Mud Terrain KM2 tires.. I had the mud terrain KMs on my zr2 in HS and loved them so I bought some for the blazer.
Any suggestions or input welcome

Here is my blazer
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...-27-26_312.jpg
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...-44-22_962.jpg

neo71665 01-30-2012 04:48 PM

Your options are limited. Trailmaster is the only other company that you didn't list. Those 3 are it for keeping the ifs and lifting.

97Beater4WD 01-30-2012 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by neo71665 (Post 493777)
Your options are limited. Trailmaster is the only other company that you didn't list. Those 3 are it for keeping the ifs and lifting.

Yeah..I'm not looking to do hardcore off roading...i got the truck for free and it will be my daily until my primary car is built and then the blazer will become my winter beater..I dont need an sas.... I think 5" is perfect for that rugged look with mild off road capability... A lot of my friends driveways are washed out in the spring and you need a lot of ground clearance and 4wd...

Are those three kits all around $2,000?

warthogdriver 01-30-2012 05:13 PM

I went with a 5 inch bds lift.
You will get a better price if you go to a local place and order it thru them. That saved me couple hundred right there. It took me roughly 24 hours of labor to do the job. If you take your time and atudy the manual it can be done. I recommend a torch if you have access to one..also keep in mind that the normal 3 ton jacks will only help you thru part of the lift...halfway thru you will need taller stands like the 6tons stands. Also the rear stabilizers dont come with the bds kit...you can either leave them off..body roll will be felt..order the kit or extend the stock ones with a weld job and some steel pipe. Having a helper will make a huge diff when pulling out the front and rear axles. Should also do tie rods and ball joints and lower control arm bushings. As well as the bushings for the torsion bar cross member. I did some things after the lift for budget reasons. I could add more...feel free to ask away.

97Beater4WD 01-30-2012 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by warthogdriver (Post 493787)
I went with a 5 inch bds lift.
You will get a better price if you go to a local place and order it thru them. That saved me couple hundred right there. It took me roughly 24 hours of labor to do the job. If you take your time and atudy the manual it can be done. I recommend a torch if you have access to one..also keep in mind that the normal 3 ton jacks will only help you thru part of the lift...halfway thru you will need taller stands like the 6tons stands. Also the rear stabilizers dont come with the bds kit...you can either leave them off..body roll will be felt..order the kit or extend the stock ones with a weld job and some steel pipe. Having a helper will make a huge diff when pulling out the front and rear axles. Should also do tie rods and ball joints and lower control arm bushings. As well as the bushings for the torsion bar cross member. I did some things after the lift for budget reasons. I could add more...feel free to ask away.

I don't really know what to ask since I don't have much experience in lifting....but I am very mechanically inclined...so anything u suggest would be taken into account... The website says 10-12hours...so u thinks it's more of a 24hour job...that's good to know...all of my ball joints and tie rods were just replaced (car sat for 2 years before I got it)..

Anything is helpful..... Do u have a thread of your build? I've looked up and down the suspension lift board and am just now getting to posting...

How's the steering linkage maintained after the lift and can you do a body lift on top of these lifts?

warthogdriver 01-30-2012 06:31 PM

Under my sig is a build link...also link to photobucket lots of pics in there.
it was my first lift...i took my time. I guess a pro would be 10-12 thats the est i got from shop i bouht kit from...they told me 60 an hour for labor of 600..sounds right. I am not a trained mech but i am good with tools. Most intimdating part is starting to cut the upper arm supports at frame..point of no return. Look at the manual on the bds site..its a good pdf..lots of pics. Study it and see what you think. It is involved but straight forward.
Yes i have a 2in body lift to...the steering also can have a stabilizer mounted up to help. The steering is not affected ..the steering stays put on the frame.

duxtoyz 01-30-2012 06:58 PM

u can sas it for the same price if not cheaper. the axles will be the most expensive part. if u go with a dana30 for the front and a dana35 for the rear out of a jeep wrangler ul have gears and the 5" lift u want. then ur platform is there for when u wanna make it ur winter beater. u could use the springs from a wrangler too, plus the pumpkin will be on the side u need too. i sas mine with dana44s.....with the axles, springs, spring hanger for the front and misc b.s like brakelines and u bolts and such i was into it around $2200. so heres another option..... :)

97Beater4WD 01-30-2012 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by duxtoyz (Post 493819)
u can sas it for the same price if not cheaper. the axles will be the most expensive part. if u go with a dana30 for the front and a dana35 for the rear out of a jeep wrangler ul have gears and the 5" lift u want. then ur platform is there for when u wanna make it ur winter beater. u could use the springs from a wrangler too, plus the pumpkin will be on the side u need too. i sas mine with dana44s.....with the axles, springs, spring hanger for the front and misc b.s like brakelines and u bolts and such i was into it around $2200. so heres another option..... :)

That actually doesnt sound too bad either....but again I dont plan on hardcore off road stuff...but If they r close to the same price that might be an option as well....
As far as install times and complexity how do they differ?

And Warthog.... I noticed that right after I posted

tibby 01-31-2012 12:55 AM

This is a tad off-topic, but figure I'd ask. If you order the kit soon and put it on, are you selling your new mud-terrains for bigger tires?

97Beater4WD 01-31-2012 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by tibby (Post 493977)
This is a tad off-topic, but figure I'd ask. If you order the kit soon and put it on, are you selling your new mud-terrains for bigger tires?

Probably if I can find a set of rims at a good price....