Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/suspension-tech-12/)
-   -   Lifting VS Lowering. (https://blazerforum.com/forum/suspension-tech-12/lifting-vs-lowering-79190/)

CoffeeAddict 05-11-2013 11:10 AM

Lifting VS Lowering.

Alright so I know that there are threads on this all over the place such as this one and also this. and again this Here

I mean there are threads all over the place but I've not really seen anything comprehensive on the Pros of each as well as the Cons of each.

Now I'm debating between the two and from what I get is as follows.

Lifting
Pros: Clearance, Bigger Tires, off-roading (derp)
Cons: MPG, Handling (Depending on how high you lift)

Lowering
Pros: MPG, Handling
Cons: Clearance, (I'm sure there are many others.)

Now I know that there are going to be quite a few Pros and Cons for both that I've not considered or found. I've also been reading that usually people prefer to lift a 4X4 and lower a 2x4. I've got a 4x4 but honestly I'm not likely to be able to get out on trails to go mudding or anything.
I was originally thinking about a 2" T-Bar/Shackle lift but now I'm thinking about maybe 1.5" lower. I've got a 4x4 but as I said the times I would end up going out to off road or something would be extremely limited. I tend to drive quite a bit which getting better MPG would be amazing.

Let me know your thoughts and maybe we can just turn this into a good thread for new people who are wondering this as well.

Note: yes I did use the search function.

cleburne red 05-11-2013 03:01 PM

I might be wrong, but I doubt there would be much gain in mileage from lowering. Maybe a little, but not enough to offset the time and effort to do it, IMHO. It would improve handling,though. But it's still going to be a 4,800 lb SUV, so it's never going to handle like a sports car.

If you just like the look of lowering, then go for it! With a 4x4, you could use the t-bars to lower the front, just make sure to get an alignment after. Since it's SUA in the back, it would be simple enough to use a block to lower it, I would think.

Mine's a 4x4, so I've done a little lift to it (2" shackle, probably about 1.5" with the t-bars). I haven't noticed a drop it mileage, but a couple inches probably isn't enough a difference.

It really comes down to what you want to do with your truck! Figure that out, and modify it accordingly!

slcblazer 05-11-2013 03:28 PM

Pro: Real men lift their cars :)
Con: It looks retarded to lower it lol

newguy 05-11-2013 03:44 PM

/\ /\ /\
what he said

El_Beautor 05-11-2013 10:28 PM

Personally I think it depends on your taste. If you're in the city, never go offroad and like the look of a dropped truck then go for it. It's not me, and I doubt I'd do it to my wheels. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a slammed truck done right. I like a truck lifted with some nice agressive tires.

Regarding the MPG I have about 3.5" lift, on 32" tires and I get about the same mileage as I did stock.

CoffeeAddict 05-12-2013 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by El_Beautor (Post 583775)
Personally I think it depends on your taste. If you're in the city, never go offroad and like the look of a dropped truck then go for it. It's not me, and I doubt I'd do it to my wheels. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a slammed truck done right. I like a truck lifted with some nice agressive tires.

Regarding the MPG I have about 3.5" lift, on 32" tires and I get about the same mileage as I did stock.

This is what got me thinking about lowering instead of lifting it. I honestly think that if a truck is lifted and done right then that is fine. But I do live in a city and between my work schedule and my little one I would almost never have the chance to get out and do some crawling. I'm not thinking completely slammed but more of just closing the gaps between tire and walls a little.

I'm thinking something like this where it is lowered but not where I would feel like I'm running the body on the ground.

Or if I was lifting would end up something like this which would be lifted and give that little extra clearance and such.

I'm honestly stumped because I kind of like both of those looks.
:icon_gunhead:

So another question would be what is the relative cost of each one? I know that I could do the T-Bar/Shackle for pretty cheap (Would use Autozone shackle kit as I probably wouldn't be going off road). Are the blocks for lowering about the same?

Diaita 05-13-2013 01:30 PM

When I was a kid, I lowered everything I owned, but when I grew up, I lifted everything I owned. ;)

I loved how well lowered trucks handled, but hated avoiding speed bumps and curbs etc.
I love the go-anywhere capability of the lifted trucks, but hate how they drive on the highway.

If I had $1M I would have them all!

El_Beautor 05-13-2013 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Diaita (Post 584058)
When I was a kid, I lowered everything I owned, but when I grew up, I lifted everything I owned. ;)

I loved how well lowered trucks handled, but hated avoiding speed bumps and curbs etc.
I love the go-anywhere capability of the lifted trucks, but hate how they drive on the highway.

I agree with you on this.

Originally Posted by Diaita (Post 584058)

If I had $1M I would have them all!

Now ain't that the truth!

abig84 05-14-2013 02:11 PM

lowering a truck around here isnt practical unless you have a second vehicle for the winter time. my stock s10 i had would get stuck in 3-4 inches of snow in the driveway, cant imagine a lowered one doing much better.

truc.karl 05-16-2013 02:39 AM

Lifting definitely! Because it can make your rig more capable both on and off the road.