Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/suspension-tech-12/)
-   -   Question regarding 1994 S10 shocks (https://blazerforum.com/forum/suspension-tech-12/question-regarding-1994-s10-shocks-58981/)

dlippiet 05-13-2011 11:46 AM

Question regarding 1994 S10 shocks

Can I add shock springs, and throw in new struts? I noticed that there are no shock springs on the truck at all, only leaf springs. I want to dampen the ride a bit, its like sitting in the middle of a moon bounce when the fat kid jumps in. Try not to be too harsh on my stupidity of this, as its my first vehicle I've ever owned :icon_couchhide:

swartlkk 05-13-2011 11:50 AM

The only reason to add more springs to the system is either if you are currently overloading the stock springs or the stock springs are sagging/broken (in which case they should be replaced, not just band-aided).

If you want to dampen the bumps out, new shocks are likely in order.

dlippiet 05-13-2011 01:24 PM

well the leafsprings look to be in decent shape, i was under the assumption a coilover setup would be better then leafs, ive worked on quite a few cars and my blazer is the first one ive noticed that didnt have coil over springs. is it possible to put on the coilover and would it alleviate some of the bouncyness ? or should i just look into getting better leafsprings, i dont plan on towing anything so weight isnt an issue

swartlkk 05-13-2011 01:50 PM

Again, the springs support the vehicle and the shocks take out the "bouncyness". The vehicle is designed with leaf springs. To go to a true coil over setup, you would have to fab a new support system for the rear axle to keep it properly located under the truck.

You can swap in coil over shocks, but the only purpose would be to add load carrying capability to the truck.

dlippiet 05-13-2011 02:11 PM

Would either of these work all around Buy Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks 3329 at Advance Auto Parts

Buy Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjustable Shock Absorber 58523 at Advance Auto Parts

Thanks Swartlkk You've been VERY helpful to me ever since i joined, and i appreciate it very much!

swartlkk 05-13-2011 03:47 PM

The load assist shock is for the rear only. I would only recommend using a load assist shock if you need the extra carrying capacity as they will make the truck ride worse when unloaded.

You can't go wrong with Bilstein shocks. They are what the truck came with from the factory. I have also used the Monroe Reflex shocks and really liked how they stiffened up the ride without being harsh like adding more spring rate would be.

ShockWarehouse.com is a sponsor of the site. I'm not sure if they currently have a discount going, but you should be able to search for them and see. For the Bilstein shocks, it's ~$260 for the full set for a 2wd. The Monroe Reflex shocks will run you ~$200 for the set.

dlippiet 05-13-2011 05:36 PM

Thanks for the link. I took a look under the front end, didnt see any shocks, I'll get under with a jack some time tomorrow and get a better look.