Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/suspension-tech-12/)
-   -   SAS, motor, and trans swap Q's (https://blazerforum.com/forum/suspension-tech-12/sas-motor-trans-swap-qs-71297/)

RedSquirrel 06-08-2012 01:32 PM

SAS, motor, and trans swap Q's

I have a 96 4 door s-10 blazer with a blown transmission, rear-end, and a motor thats on its way out. (dont ask any questions about how that happend, long story hahaha) the body and frame are SOLID. i am looking at buying a 87 k-5 blazer from one of my buddies that the whole drive train is good, but the body and frame are rusted beyond repair. i want to put the 350, transmission, and axels from the k-5 into the s-10. my questions are will the steering column from the k-5 still work in the s-10, and how hard will cutting the driveshafts to lengthen/shorten them? and any other comments about how to do this swap would be appreciated. i already know that i am going to need to swap out the computer and wiring harnesses. also any tips on how to keep it road legal in VT if possible. Thanks.

neo71665 06-08-2012 02:00 PM

No need to change the steering column.

The drive shafts need to be done by a shop that can cut/weld them perfect square and balance them.

Worst thing about it is axles width. Depending on laws the tires might have to be covered. Some states don't like older engines and emission systems swapped in newer trucks. New engine and emissions in older is often fine as it brings them up to a stricter code. You also need to look into local bumper and/or headlight laws. I would make a phone call to the dmv and see what they have to say before you spend any money or get your hopes up.

abig84 06-09-2012 08:25 AM

Might not have to mess with the driveshafts either. I ended up using the s10 rear driveshaft and the k5 front one.

RedSquirrel 06-11-2012 09:45 AM

im not too worried about keeping it road legal, just if possible i would like to. i have someone who can do the driveshafts for me if needed. with the 350 will i need to use headers that are slimmer to fit in the s-10 engine compartment?

RedSquirrel 06-11-2012 09:53 AM

another thing is someone told me to just cut the K-5 frame in front and behind the spring shackles and weld them to the S-10 blazer frame. would this work instead of building all custom shackles?

abig84 06-11-2012 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by RedSquirrel (Post 524108)
another thing is someone told me to just cut the K-5 frame in front and behind the spring shackles and weld them to the S-10 blazer frame. would this work instead of building all custom shackles?

lol. that i never heard of... no idea if that would work, no idea if the frames are the same width or anythign like that. probably a major pain the but getting everything to line up

they do sell the brackets for the front leaf springs if you dont want to make them, i just made my own crap cause im cheap. 4 years later still holding up.

what sucks about making them is the s10's frame is different from side to side so what works on one side you kinda have to modify it for the other side. also you dont NEED headers, you can actually take 3rd generation camaro manifolds and they will fit. they barely clear the steering shaft but they clear. so that would be like a 81-91ish style camaro, somewhere in those years.

i did a v8 swap in a 95 a few years back and did all the k5 stuff to a 93 4 years ago so ask away with any questions

neo71665 06-12-2012 04:56 PM

The frames are far from matching up.

The manifolds for a v8 swap

CAMARO LOW PERFORMANCE MANIFOLD GM PART#s
LH 14014500 & RH 14031361 (I used) or
LH 14033037 & RH 14007400
You can use any LH & RH combination.
They are found on Camaros from the early 80's through to about 92.