Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/suspension-tech-12/)
-   -   sas swap (https://blazerforum.com/forum/suspension-tech-12/sas-swap-71494/)

jaked up 06-16-2012 07:39 PM

sas swap

i live in MA and the MA lift law says that you can not lift your car more then 2 inches over the stock hight by any means. im looking to do a sas swap and i am looking at useing this kit (link below) as this kit gives 5 inches of lift in the frount end if i was to put it in i would be over the lift limit so there for it would not be legal to drive my truck on the road. im thinking about useing a 3 inch drop spring pack of the size listed in the kit.

my question is does anyone think my idea will work and if it would get me in the 2inch limit (which i feel it will) and i am haveing a hard time finding 3 inch drop springs of the size listed above so if anyone has any idea where i could find some that would be a great help

94-04 Chevy S10 solid axle conversion kit (leaf springs)

neo71665 06-16-2012 11:52 PM

Unless you figure out a way to raise the engine the front diff and oil pan are not gonna like shareing the same space.

My money is the front diff wins the fight.

A 2 inch body lift and t-bar crank gets ya 3.5 in the front. Might as well just push it a tad and keep it simple and cheap if you're so limited. From my dealings 5 is low and its more like 6 to 8 inches min on a sas. Ifs are designed to be mounted out of the way and just big enough to work. The suspension travel comes from each side and the diff is solid.
You get a bigger and stronger diff under there it has to have room. Trying to tuck it that high if you even can the up travel will be so limited you might as well weld the axle to the frame. Sfa has to travel both ways for a smooth ride. You can't have unlimited drop and no up travel.

abig84 06-17-2012 07:26 AM

ive owned lifted trucks since 1999, ive bounced around between indiana and illinois. both have lift laws that give you barely any inches. basically my k5 blazer with a 4 inch lift and 33s was illegal in both states.

anyways from about 2001 to 2008 i had fullsized chevys on 6inch lifts and 38s and never got a ticket from the cops. theres tons of lifted trucks running around here. ive always drove that thing like a grandma and never brought any attention to myself.

so you maybe fine or you might get arrested and beat down the first time out. never know

Ugly_Monkey 06-17-2012 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by abig84 (Post 525196)
...or you might get arrested and beat down the first time out. never know

^ This would be my luck!

skotti 06-17-2012 06:22 PM

explain why you are considering sas and even trying to stay within that boundary.

jaked up 06-17-2012 07:47 PM

bc im sick of fixing the ifs and i like soild axles over ifs bc they are easyer to fix and cheaper to build up. and they flex better then ifs

skotti 06-17-2012 08:50 PM

u wont have room for flex...lol.

you still have the same wear items in an ifs then u do in sas especially in hard a driven vehicle. tierods, ball joints, cvs/axleshafts. Now take into consideration, that if you do sas and stay low, you cant come back from it easily. youll have to remove the front crossmember and other mounts the ifs bolts too. so if it gets rejected come inspectin time.

in either case, u dont want to use drop leafs, thatll definitly hit oil pan. Also gotta take into account the front drive shaft will move with axle, unlike now that it stays stationary. your only bet is to use a leaf that will be flat with weight on it. chevy springs or waggoneer springs. stay leaf under. could run up to a 33, itll still look stock til someone puts a tape measure to the bumper.

neo71665 06-17-2012 09:19 PM

All I can come up with is do the sas and aim for 5-6 inch lift. Then body drop it 3-4 inches to get it back legal.

Honestly unless you take it off the road I would leave it as is.

Ugly_Monkey 06-17-2012 10:07 PM

Ok, since the OP is serious...

First... Go read the ACTUAL LAW

Then... Get clarification from a lawyer type.

Then... Accept the costs of the possible ticket, and build anyway, OR...

Get around the law by whatever means necessary (bumper drop, frame switch, whatever...)

Laws are words, above that it is all up to the interpretation of a judge.

skotti 06-18-2012 10:23 AM

Like above id still find someone better to ask. a little research though.

Massachusetts Lift Laws | Vehicle Modification Rules

Massachusetts - Vehicles under 10,000 gvwr limited to 2" suspension lift.
4x4 vehicles have max suspension lift using this equation.
Maximum Lift = Wheelbase times Wheel Track (Width), divided by 2200.

Rough math on mine, wheelbase is 110, wheel track is bout 80", so that would allow me a lift of 4". So youd want to track down where they would measure to determine if it meets the criteria. I wouldnt get crazy modifying something to meet the spec, but if its bumper, make a custom bumper that would get you in spec. Also by that site, dont know how accurate it is, but there is no law that says wheels have to be covered, you could run full width axles to up the equation.