Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/suspension-tech-12/)
-   -   Torsion bar issue (https://blazerforum.com/forum/suspension-tech-12/torsion-bar-issue-99002/)

Stingroo 03-03-2019 06:05 AM

Torsion bar issue

Hey all.

New to 4x4s in general, but i just picked up this Blazer for a few bucks. It needed a rear shackle replaced, which I was able to handle no problem. The issue is up front.

The truck had a bent control arm, so I paid a mobile mechanic to swap both of them on the passenger side and put in a new axle. I just didn't have the time to mess with it. When he left, he had it on a jack stand because I was planning on putting my new wheels on anyway. No problem.

Well, when I go to lower the truck, it SLAMS to the ground on the RF. Here's a video I took. Is it possible that the torsion key needs to be adjusted downward (like, installed with the hex turned one more down, if that makes sense?). What am I missing here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksG6...o0njkwLcuyC47Q

(Shot with my Galaxy S Potato - holy crap).

Anyway... what's wrong? How do I fix it and get this thing drivable again?

cleburne red 03-03-2019 07:21 AM

Hard to tell, but maybe it's possible the control arm was put back one "flat" off. I've messed with my control arms quite a bit. It's definitely possible to assemble them properly without the special unloading tool.

What happens when you tighten that bolt back by the keys? Is it ran in as far as the other side?

​​​​​

Stingroo 03-03-2019 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by cleburne red (Post 704228)
Hard to tell, but maybe it's possible the control arm was put back one "flat" off. I've messed with my control arms quite a bit. It's definitely possible to assemble them properly without the special unloading tool.

What happens when you tighten that bolt back by the keys? Is it ran in as far as the other side?

​​​​​

I can run the bolt on all the way and it's still not touching the key at all.

So you're saying pull the bar out of the arm and turn it?

swartlkk 03-03-2019 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Stingroo (Post 704222)
Is it possible that the torsion key needs to be adjusted downward (like, installed with the hex turned one more down, if that makes sense?). What am I missing here?

Yes, you need to remove the torsion key and reinstall it one flat over on the torsion bar. You likely will need a c-clamp at the very least to get the adjusting bolt & support back in, but be careful. You may want to see if your local/favorite autoparts store rents out the actual torsion bar unloading tool. I have one and they make this job much easier & safer than just winging it with a c-clamp.

cleburne red 03-03-2019 08:30 AM

You can also use a floor jack under the lower control arm to unload the torsion bar, that's what I do.

Back off the adjustment bolt by the key all the way

Floor jack under the lower arm, split the ball joints, and remove steering knuckle. Slowly lower the jack, untill all the tension is out of the torsion bar, and there is some "play" in the lower arm.

You can then remove the lower arm, and reinstall it in the right position. It will be roughly pointed about 45° down. You'll use the floor jack to raise the arm, (loading the t bar, so be careful) until you can get the knuckle back on, and both ball joints reattached

​​​​​​

swartlkk 03-03-2019 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by cleburne red (Post 704237)
You can also use a floor jack under the lower control arm to unload the torsion bar, that's what I do.

Back off the adjustment bolt by the key all the way

Floor jack under the lower arm, split the ball joints, and remove steering knuckle. Slowly lower the jack, untill all the tension is out of the torsion bar, and there is some "play" in the lower arm.

You can then remove the lower arm, and reinstall it in the right position. It will be roughly pointed about 45° down. You'll use the floor jack to raise the arm, (loading the t bar, so be careful) until you can get the knuckle back on, and both ball joints reattached​​​​​​

I would add one more step to that approach and that would be to loosen the lower control arm to frame attachment bolts. If this is not done, it could result in tearing of the lower control arm bushings since they are not meant to take that much rotation.

cleburne red 03-03-2019 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk (Post 704240)
I would add one more step to that approach and that would be to loosen the lower control arm to frame attachment bolts. If this is not done, it could result in tearing of the lower control arm bushings since they are not meant to take that much rotation.

Really good idea, swartlkk! Never thought to do that, now I wished I had. I'll incorporate that into my procedure going forward!