Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

torsion bars

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 03:24 AM
mscott03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default torsion bars

I have my torsion bars to the max and a friend of mine said that it's putting a lot of pressure on the front axel.. he said that it would probably be risky if I were to go mudding in 4 wheel drive because I could snap my front axel.. Has anyone ever had this experience or have any knowledge on the subject? That would be great!

Old 09-09-2006, 02:19 PM
ceanern is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: torsion bars

You shouldn't Plus our blazers don't have a front axle. They have the cv shafts. I have my passanger side at full crank right now because of my bar being shot. I could be wrong and I"m sure if I am I will be corrected and next time I can make sure I"m giving the right info.

Old 09-09-2006, 03:01 PM
96Blaze4.3 is an unknown quantity at this point

It could break but very doubtful . U are mainly hurting the balljoints . . I had my old Z71 cranked to the max for 6 years and never hurt a thing but one balljoint and they already had 200k on them

Old 09-09-2006, 07:39 PM
tommyd is an unknown quantity at this point

If you drive it hard in 4 wheel it will probably break. I've experianced this on other vehicles with IFS. Could you get away with it, yes. Would I? No. Unless your trying to stuff huge tires in there and you have no choice I wouldn't have it cranked. Your sig says you have a lifted ZR2 my question is why do you need the t-bars cranked?

Old 09-10-2006, 03:09 AM

the bars are cranked to give it the 2" additional lift.. The tires wouldnt have fit in otherwise. The fender flares had to be modified a little to so they wouldn't hit.

Old 09-10-2006, 03:23 AM
1996BZR is an unknown quantity at this point

love the ZR2 mscott, looks great. but the front end may be a little too high, or are you on an incline in that pic?

Old 09-10-2006, 04:31 AM
tommyd is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like he is on a slight incline or it could be leaf sag which is pretty common in zr2 blazers. Either way if at all possible lower the front as much as possible. If your willing to spend extra cash you could have custom half shafts made this will probably run you $800 at least and still wouldn't take care of the ball joint problem. Heck I would replace the ball joints if they are still oem ones that came on the truck just for safety sake. As for half shafts I think there is a place that might make "stronger than stock" shafts. I don't know the name of it but I will try to find out. I would say if the ball joints are fine and you can't lower the front end then drive'em till they break then upgrade them.

Old 09-10-2006, 04:28 PM

Yeah, thats on the driveway and its a good incline. When its on the flat road it sits pretty even. I guess for now I would be interested in finding part improvements to help deal with the front lift. I cant lower the front or the tires hit the back of the wheel well.

Old 09-10-2006, 11:31 PM
ceanern is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm still not 100% that you would break them. Have you had it off-roading since you have cranked them or no? anyone have any proof either way or personal experience?!?!?

Edit: I know if you have a vehicle lower it can wear prematurely wear cv shafts. And probably is for raising them. Busting them I'm not 100%. But it would probably depend on much stress is put on the cv shafts. I know from looking at my one that had a disconnected boot. There is about 4" or more worth of room for the knuckle of the shaft to move(closer part to the motor). And that doesn't include how much might be available in the other knuckle. How would it wear your ball joints?? I"m not understanding how it would prematurely wear the ball joints.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:40 AM

Yeah I have noticed that the boots of the CV shafts aren't sitting on perfectly.. I haven't taken her off road yet but I will - and when I do, I guess that will be the moment of truth..

Quick Reply: torsion bars