Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/suspension-tech-12/)
-   -   Widen Stance, Lift Body, Stablize Ride (https://blazerforum.com/forum/suspension-tech-12/widen-stance-lift-body-stablize-ride-42382/)

Mark_D 03-19-2010 03:18 PM

Widen Stance, Lift Body, Stablize Ride

Hey, I'm new to this forum, but want to do some things to my Blazer. I've listed my ideas below. Feel free to look it over and tell me what you think and provide suggesitons if you have any.

The truck is a 1998 Chevy Blazer LT 4dr, 4x4, 4.6L V6.

Stuff I've looked into so far:
-New suspension front and rear (for 90% on road, brand suggestions??)
-1" wheel spacers in front
-2" wheel spacers in rear
-2" shackles to raise the back end
-Crank torsion bars to raise front end 1"

Stuff I will need but haven't looked into yet
-Front end ball joints
-May need new pinion/tie rods since steering is loose

I will also need to re-face one of my disc rotors, it feels warped because it grabs a little harder in one spot on every rotation when I'm braking. Anyone know if taking the thickness down on only one rotor will decrease the relative braking power to that wheel or do the pads just come out a little further ot compensate?

I'd want to do everything in one fell swoop, so I'll need to diagnose/research the steering issue.

Thanks in advance!

oktain 03-19-2010 04:26 PM

Hmmm... to Stabilize your ride you'd want to lower it instead of going higher, higher centre of gravity=less stability, Physics 101

I don't see an issue with re-facing the rotor, I'd expect the brake booster to put just as much power to both sides...

old skool luvr 03-19-2010 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mark_D (Post 313751)
I will also need to re-face one of my disc rotors......................Anyone know if taking the thickness down on only one rotor will decrease the relative braking power to that wheel or do the pads just come out a little further ot compensate?

while there really isn't any issue with doing just one, it's always a good idea to alway do everything in pairs. you wouldn't just replace the pads on one side, would you?

and if one "feels" like it has a bit of a warp, i can almost guarentee that the other side will be as well. besides, it's not that much to have rotors/drums machined.

leeclark 03-20-2010 08:19 AM

as far as the loose steering goes i'd check the stablizer bar under the front end. not sure how many miles you have but mine is a 98 also and i had one of the bolts on the end where the bushings are break on my yesterday so i had to replace both sides. made a huge difference so i'd check that out. as far as wider stance you will pay as much for spacers as you would buyin steel wheels like mine or some of the other guys have. you just get a different offset that will make them stick out slightly more.

Rottidog 03-20-2010 08:38 AM

& by having the tires stick out more you're...
A: going to have a lot more dirt etc. being tossed up on the sides & windows & chipping
B: might have to get fender flares to stay legal, though they're a good idea anyway
C: put more wear & tear on front end componants
& D: LOVE the way it looks!!!

vanillathrilla 03-20-2010 08:59 AM

I have that wide stance you're looking for.... but I bought it that way. I'll post pictures when I take a few today.

leeclark 03-20-2010 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rottidog (Post 313935)
& by having the tires stick out more you're...
A: going to have a lot more dirt etc. being tossed up on the sides & windows & chipping
B: might have to get fender flares to stay legal, though they're a good idea anyway
C: put more wear & tear on front end componants
& D: LOVE the way it looks!!!

i have to agree with all of this. i cant keep my blazer clean for anything. but i still love it lol.

Rottidog 03-20-2010 11:25 PM

Lee... try looking up Flexy Flares, you can get them up to 4 1/2" of coverage & not expensive at all.
I got 2 sets for $130 Canadian & they're keeping the rockers, doors, windows etc a LOT cleaner!
In the near future I'll be bed lining, rocker guard or something along the rockers & up a bit (to the body crease perhaps) 'just because' & it should look pretty damn good too.
& although they may look odd/goofy or just plain fugly, at least a set of mud flaps for the front helps immensely!

leeclark 03-21-2010 07:31 AM

cool, will check into it... plan on an experiment with fiberglass sometime this summer for flares but those will do for now found some for 85$

oktain 03-21-2010 10:41 AM

Fiberglass Gel-Coat doesn't like Rocks too much though lol... You may want to paint the inside lip of those fiber glass flares you plan on making with some bed liner.