Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Not sure what direction to go

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 07:05 PM
eslhockey92g is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not sure what direction to go

hows it going guys, I have a 97 4 door 4x4. over the summer i did t-bar and shackles w/ a 2" body to clear some 31x10.50 pro comp x-terrians. It looks like chevy should have rolled them off the line like that. It makes any stock 4door look like crap. I love it. But now that im in college (IUP) and when i drive home its almost 350 miles. Im only getting about 15MPG city and 17-18MPG highy way, if im lucky. I preety much know its the tires that are killing me. and it isnt cheap filling that tank up 3-4 times to get home and back.

My main problem is the front tires rub the frame before the sterring locks. I dont want to do spacers i was just gonna get a set of wheels to get them away from the frame. PA inspection wont pass it.At this point i was thinking about getting rid of the 31's and maybe picking up 17's w/ a healty side wall so i still can go offroad once and a while and stilljump curbs with the hope to get some better gas millage. if i would put 17 ish on i would have to take the body life of so it doesn't look like crap.

So i kinda of 2 questions. Would it be worth losing 31's and pick up 17ish wheels for better gas milage? and the KEY is looking right. If i put 17's on i dont want to have the image when people walk past my car as it being lowerd or just slaping some chrome on.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:14 PM
hockeykid15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Not sure what direction to go

instead of getting a whole set of wheels and tires why not just get smaller tires? you would be able to same money by keeping the stock wheels. and i am assuming that you will be taking the body lift off also, correct?

Old 04-25-2007, 09:01 PM

if i dont keep the 31's i would deff take the body lift off it would like silly w/ about 3" of lift w/ stock tires. I thought about that idea, just putting it back to stock, but if i do that id like to make it stand out a little bit, there are awhole bunch of blazers where i live, i hate blending in. Well with blazer theres not much appernce wise that you can do beside rims, lift/lower to make a significant change. im still playing with ideas, it will come down to money once summer starts and im out of school. So well see, any comments or ideas or more than welcome

Old 04-25-2007, 10:24 PM

there are a lot of blazers where i live too and i HATE blending in. i am looking at 18's for mine and i am at stock height. if you put rims on they will only look goofy if you get small tires. i will be getting tires that are relatively the same size as the ones on my stock wheels so that they still fill the wheel wells. the only difference will be that i have bigger wheels inside the same diameter tires.

heres a link and you can play around with tire sizes on different rims.
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

Old 04-25-2007, 10:33 PM

Yea i here ya, no ive been looking andi think 18's look just about perfect w/ a good size sidewall. I wouldnt do somthing stupid and put low pro's on an suv. I have a 4x4 and use it. I jump kurbs and dont swrive on the roads to avoid pot holes. So if i get bigger wheels the tires would have to suite how i drive it, I would deff go with a healthy size side wall

Old 04-25-2007, 10:55 PM

yea they do look the best, i think. i found too that 255/55/18 tires would be perfect. not too big and not too small. the only trouble i have found with the wheels is that not many manufacturers make wheels with the 5 on 4.75 bolt pattern

Old 04-26-2007, 12:04 AM

yeah,the 5x4.75 or 5x120mm is a really odd bolt pattern. Most BMW have the same one as us, i was looking at a X5 wheels. Also corvette wheels bolt up as well I think they fit on the 4x4 and need spacer for 4x2, Be sides them it is hard to find a nice looking rim in our bolt pattern, the hardest thing i will have to do is find a nice 18" wheel that looks right and will fit so the search is on w/o killing the bank

Old 04-26-2007, 12:37 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

or you could change your tire size in the puter program so your odometer shows the correct mileage. Install headers,cat back system, and cold air intake system to gain back som lost power and mpg. More then one way to skin that cat.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:37 AM

way a head of ya buddy. I got a cheap CAI of ebay and swaped the kones w/ a K&N, TBS, TB buterfly MOD, Hypertech (engine,trany and tire size)I dont have full exhaust, i have a custom cat back kicking out infront of the rear tire you can see it in that pic i put on. The icing on the cake is the motor is a fresh Jasper w/ about 10K on it and the tranny is about 5k young.I was thinking about doing headers and a HF cat. But i herd there not really worth doing unless im gonna play with the internals or forced induction. So theres really not much else i think can be done for gas milage beside the tires. Now that im in school i do ALOT of highway driving to from home, work, school. and the tires i have on there arnt the best for high way HAHA.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:55 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds pretty good. Got any pics?

Quick Reply: Not sure what direction to go