Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/)
-   -   Bigger tires with stock running boards? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/bigger-tires-stock-running-boards-55309/)

closer 02-11-2011 08:15 PM

Bigger tires with stock running boards?

Okay, I changed my mind again. I'm definately putting 31x10.50x15 dunlop AT's on my blazer on the stock rims. Tires were too expensive for the 18" rims. Well... at least expensive compared to the $75 a tire I'm getting the 31" for:icon_wink:.
Everything seems to measure out alright with my redneck eyeball measuring tool. I had to trim alittle of my front running boards with the 18's. They rubbed in the same spots everyone with a aftermarket rim rubbed. My question tonite is.... Does anyone have a 30x9.5x15 or 31 with the factory fiberglass running boards? It looks lik I might have to trim the back of the running board so that the rear tire doesn't rub. But I won't know for sure until I get the tires mounted on my rims in the morning.
Once I get everything mounted tomorrow. I'll post pics... if it hits or not. LOL! I love pics... Sometimes they are worth a million words..

Moores12345 02-11-2011 09:01 PM

If your going with 31's, I'd say lose the stock running boards all together. It just won't look right IMO. Stock running boards look ok when you have stock height and tires on a Blazer but if your looking to beef it up I'd say part with them.

If you had to trim at 29.95 was it? You'll have to trim even more to get 30.95 in there. I think thats what 31's are anyways 30.95..

Would be a lot easier to work with I think without the running boards, and look wayyyyy better.

Just my opinion though.

closer 02-11-2011 09:35 PM

Yea the 255/55/18's measure out 29x10 on a 8"wide rim. But the backspacing sticks the wheel out farther than stock. That combined with my blazer being at stock height was the cause of my trimming the front fender and running board before. I've done a 1.5"t-bar crank for now. I'm leaving the running boards on because I have to make a 400 mile round trip as soon as I get back with the tires and bolt them on.

blazinloud 02-12-2011 10:03 AM

i agree, lose the running boards, they look terrible. id rather my rockers rusted right through than rock those.

closer 02-12-2011 06:47 PM

well... the 31x10.50x15's fit with no rubbing on normal driving. And clear the running boards. I'll post pics tomorrow. It's late, and dark outside.

Benedict1337 02-12-2011 07:54 PM

if the running boards don't rub then its really up to you if you want to keep them or not, whatever looks best to you. thats all that matters

closer 02-12-2011 09:46 PM

I'm really amazed actually. The tires don't look as huge as I thought they would. I actually think I might be able to loosen my torsion bars up front some. I turned them up 1.5" to be safe. The only thing that looks like it might rub on mine is the bolt in the back of the fender apron. It's weird how some blazer's fit bigger tires and others have so much trouble.
And I might keep the running boards... I kinda like them because the keep the truck's sides clean from road dirt. And plus they hide my frame.

Benedict1337 02-13-2011 05:11 PM

The thing about 31's that people get mixed up with is most of us have aftermarket wheels that stick out further than the stock wheels and some 31's arent really 31 inches tall. My 31's are really only 30.5" when u measure them. So it all really depends on the tire and wheels. Also if u just drive on the road you wont rub a whole lot i can lower my truck some and noy rub as long as im not off roading, its really about what you're using your truck for

closer 02-13-2011 06:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well. I finally got to take some pics. I might lose the running board later if I decide I want to do a body lift and aftermarket rims. Or find some step tubes to replace the boards with. But I do know that they would rub the running boards if it wasn't for mw triming some on them from before.

Jerb 02-13-2011 10:35 PM

i like the looks of the running boards, my 97 blazer currently has them, but as another mentioned, running a different wheel with less off-set, more than likely you will have to lose them, im planning on taking mine off with 30x9.5 tires just because of the different offset rim, i gonna leave them on when i mount my new wheels and tires just to see, who knows, but im a guessing they not gonna survive the wheel swap as well as some fender.....