Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/)
-   -   changing rim width??? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/changing-rim-width-16091/)

94blueknight 01-08-2008 11:15 PM

changing rim width???

ok so i was thinkin bout later on gettin the BF Goodrich All Terrain 31x10.5x15 tires. and i like my stock rims but ik they r not wide enough cuz i believe stock width is 7" so i was thinking would it be possible to cut the rim and extend it to fit at 10.5" wide tire????

i was looking around a lil bit at other rims and found a set similar to mine but they only went up to 8" width
i was also curious would a 10" wide rim fit at 10.5" wide tire????

mdehoogh 01-08-2008 11:35 PM

RE: changing rim width???

a general measurement is as long as the tire width is less than 4" bigger than the rim, youll be okay. (on 7" rim, no bigger than 11" tire) you should be fine using 10.5" tires on a 7" rim.

another thing to consider is, 4wd'shave a lot of backspacing. if you get a wheel with less backspacing (most wheels dont have enough), then youre wheels will be further out from the truck (wider stance)... while a wider stance is ideal, a larger tire such as 31" BFG AT's will likely rub the fenders with your stock wheels. if you get wheels with too little backspacing, that will push the tread even closer to the lip of the fender. if you're okay with cutting and trimming the fenders, you might be ok but 31" tires usually require some sort of lift (suspension or body)

about the 10" wide wheels. a few members have had no problems fitting 10" wheels. there a member named cyukio who has a 2wd, 2wd have less backspacing so wheels are MUCH easier to find and fit right, has a 5.5" lift (2wd's are also VERY easy to lift) and he wasnt even able to fit 30's on 15x10 wheels. THISwas his first thread where he ran into some problems with 30" mud tires. THISis his thread from when he finally got 29" tires to fit.

HERE is some more wheel info, it explains backspacing and offset which are two things to look for when looking for aftermarket wheels

WolfPack 01-08-2008 11:38 PM

I feel like there would be some pretty serious safety issues if you were to "cut the rim".

94blueknight 01-08-2008 11:43 PM

ok when i get the tires i'll either have a 2" lift or be getting one soon and w/ the backspacing would wheel spacers help w/ this at all??

WolfPack 01-08-2008 11:46 PM

if youre getting new rims anyway, just find a set with the backspacing you want. dont mess with spacers IMO

mdehoogh 01-08-2008 11:47 PM

whoops! i forgot to comment on that.[sm=noooo.gif]you cannot cut a rim around and remount the inner lip to create a wider wheel. WAY unsafe and WAY impractical when you can buy black steel wheels for $50 a piece

wheel spacers would make the issue worse. less BS pushes the wheels out. spacers do the same thing.

94blueknight 01-08-2008 11:52 PM

o ok ya that makes more sense now that i think of it well thanks for the help!!
so in conclusion i would be ok w/ mounting 31" BFG A/T's on my stock rims that r about 7" wide i would just have to worry about BS

mdehoogh 01-08-2008 11:56 PM

if you're going to be using the same rims you have now, you dont have to worry about the wheels.

94blueknight 01-08-2008 11:58 PM

ok sweet thanks!!

agibson94 01-09-2008 12:08 AM

dude 31x10.50 will fit your stock rim just fineno balloon effectnow 33"s thats a different story