Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/)
-   -   Couple questions... (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/couple-questions-35070/)

Jimbo Slice 09-24-2009 05:09 PM

Couple questions...

Hey everyone,

I just bought a black 1998 GMC Jimmy 4x4 and I am interested in changing the rims and tires.

I have done some browsing through this forum to try and learn more about modifying these vehicles. I am not familiar with domestics as much as imports. My other car is a turbocharged Acura RSX pushing about 460whp... Don't hate :icon_wink: I did all the work myself. It's a blast to drive but I also wanted a bigger vehicle for my daily driver.

I am currently looking at purchasing the Cragar Soft 8's. My current wheel size is 15x7 if I am correct. I am unclear as far as backspacing. I've read that stock is 6" but the only ones I have seen are 4". What about offset?

I love the look of the tire sticking out a bit, but I don't really plan on lifting it because I have heard it is difficult/expensive due to the leaf spring positioned below the axle. Am I correct on this as well? Can the tire stick out a bit without worrying about rubbing issues?

I am also thinking of getting new tires that are either stock size or slightly wider, but I am unsure what would fit with the different combinations of backspacing/ride height.

I know that was a lot of questions in one post, but any help or pointing in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jimbo Slice 09-24-2009 09:58 PM

I was browsing through the lifting section and came across some information on extended shackles...

Is this how I would go about lifting the rear of my Jimmy? Do blazers have the same rear setup with the leaf spring below the axle?

Jimbo Slice 09-26-2009 07:04 PM

No one can answer any of my questions?

swartlkk 09-26-2009 07:13 PM

Offset and backspacing are related. A quick google search will detail that for you.

Going from 6"BS to 4"BS can become a problem depending on what tire size you choose. Less BS pushes the tires out as you have noticed. It also can cause clearance issues at full steering lock at the front. Wider tires will make this worse.

As far as lifting, you can safely go 1.5" with lift shackles in the back and tightening up the torsion bar adjusting bolts on the front.

Jimbo Slice 09-26-2009 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk (Post 248884)
Offset and backspacing are related. A quick google search will detail that for you.

Going from 6"BS to 4"BS can become a problem depending on what tire size you choose. Less BS pushes the tires out as you have noticed. It also can cause clearance issues at full steering lock at the front. Wider tires will make this worse.

As far as lifting, you can safely go 1.5" with lift shackles in the back and tightening up the torsion bar adjusting bolts on the front.

Ok thank you!

As far as tires, if I just went a a size or a couple sizes taller/wider would that pose an issue with rubbing? I don't plan on venturing much at all from the stock size for now.

As far as the lift shackles and torsion bar, a buddy of mine said that when doing this is straightens out the driveshaft which is supposed to be at a slight angle. he said when its straight it wears out the ujoints because they are meant to be at an angle. is this correct?

swartlkk 09-26-2009 07:36 PM

It all comes down to where your truck is sitting now. Every vehicle ages differently making it quite difficult to say what will fit and what won't.

Many people here are running with 1.5" lift shackles and a 1.5" torsion bar crank. I wouldn't say that the change in rear pinion angle would affect the trucks reliability.