Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/)
-   -   Decent tires for Dirt Roads and Snow (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/decent-tires-dirt-roads-snow-90032/)

AcidRelic 06-10-2015 01:41 PM

Decent tires for Dirt Roads and Snow

Hello all, I'm looking for decent tires, cost efficient but also nice looking. They are for a 4x4 that is a daily driver but also needed to be the "bad weather" vehicle for the family. I live on dirt roads and then back roads for about 3 miles before I hit a "main" road. We get really slick on the dirt roads in rain and melting snow and our roads take about 3 days to get plowed during snow. I can't afford to miss work so the tires and 4x4 need to get me out safely.

The two I've found so far are Cooper Adventurer A/T's ($488 at pep-boys with rebates and offers) and maybe Futura Scramblers ($368 with rebates and offers). I'l looking for an opinions on those tires or any other options that would work for the above.

Thanks

P.S. I'm sticking with stock size or something that will fit a 2002 4D 4x4 Blazer without a lift.

lazyboyjake 06-10-2015 06:50 PM

Check out the cooper discoverer at3's. They come in the factory 235/75 size and they've done me very well on dirt, gravel, ice, snow, rain. Just about anything. The only thing I haven't had them on is sand cause it's just not in my area.

AJBert 06-11-2015 12:08 AM

You are going to get "biased" opinions from anyone who posts, sorry to say. They will say get what I have or never buy what I have. There is no magical tire that will meet every possible need one need.

With money being short, get the best AT you can afford. In a perfect world, you would two or more sets of tires for whatever conditions call for. From what you've said get some good AT's. I could throw at some brands that cost quite a bit more than what you've posted and I am also not familiar with the tires you've posted.

Best advice I can tell you is look for a tire that has the "snowflake" symbol. IMO, one of the best tires for snow/ice is the Goodyear Duratrac, but you'll pay a bit more for them.

Vahomboy 06-11-2015 06:23 AM

I've had good luck with BFG ATs but I haven't run anything else to compare them to. Did me good last winter, had 2nd set put on in Nov 2014.

silverside 06-29-2015 08:12 PM

Check out Nexen AT II, a close friend had them on late winter and he's impressed with them: Nexen AT II Tire

I would invest a little more too when it comes to tire on snow, like AJBert said you would get better confidence and peace of mind with little more reliable and tested tires. Plus check warranty.

2004 Blazer 08-31-2015 09:15 PM

One of the first things I did after getting a flat the third day of ownership (6/7/15) was replace the Firestone winter weather tires with these 29274 LT235/75R15 BF Goodrich BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO I haven't had a chance to test them extensively yet. They do great in standing water up to 6". I did get stuck temporarily on a Delaware beach on third week of ownership when i discovered that the transfer case vacume actuator valve needed replacing before I would have 4x4 ! Let out air and retreated like a sad puppy.

BlazerHeyzer 11-12-2015 08:32 PM

been looking at reviews for BF Goodrich A/T, I think its a good choice for daily driving but since its the winter season, i'm quite skeptical if i'll just buy winter tires. need a better grip on the snow since i'll be driving my blazer with my family. we'll be going on a trip to my mother's house on the holidays. im looking at Michelin X-ice and Brigestone blizzak. any feedback on those tires?

abig84 11-13-2015 01:10 PM

i have good year silent armors on my k30 and they are amazing in the snow, though they are on a 5500lb truck. ive heard other people bitch about them before.

my 2wd had general grabbers and that thing wouldnt move in the snow. got a great deal on some good year wranglers and those helped a bit. no idea on how good either of those are in the mud. my mud truck has boggers which are pretty good in the mud

2004 Blazer 11-13-2015 05:31 PM

We may get some snow here in Va. this year and I will be waiting to test out my new tires (5,000 miles on them now) and give a review. Product Name Quantity Each Ext. BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO 29274 - LT235/75R15 Limited Time Offer: (FREE SHIPPING) http://tirecrazy.com//info/promo.php?promoID=156
4 $ 147.00 $ 588.00