Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/)
-   -   Different wheel offsets (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/different-wheel-offsets-50782/)

2005Jimmy 10-28-2010 08:49 PM

Different wheel offsets

Picked up some rims from a 1997 S-10 for mounting my winter tires. Could only find three so used the full sized spare that came with my 2005 Jimmy as the fourth. Problem is the spare has 0 or some positive offset while the 3 S-10 rims have negative offset. Tires are all 235-75-15 with identical circumferences so no problems with different tire speeds on axles. Mounted the spare on the front left and noticed the truck pulled to the right when braking. Switched it to the back and it now brakes straight. I want to know if running rims with different offsets on the rear axle will affect handling. Should I do this or try and hunt down a 4th identical rim and offset?

Rottidog 11-06-2010 10:39 PM

I'm not sure on how bad it could be but if it mucked up your braking & steering on the front then it's probably having bad issues with the rear. I'd hunt down the same 4th.

g_mike 11-10-2010 09:06 PM

find the 4th matching. or at least 1 more that matches your spare.
if your truck is 4x4 i would put the smaller offset in the front and the 0 offset in the back, reason being is the fronts stick out further than the back, so this may make all 4 wheels like up.

im switching all my rims to 0 offset 2wd rims off a 2000 s10 for a wider stance, hoping to loose some of that nasty bodyroll.

81Z4ME 11-11-2010 05:10 AM

These little blazers have the same bolt pattern as chevy cars. My brother in law put the old style corvette rally wheels on his S10 (they stick way out from under the fenders though).

I've put 16" Z28 wheels on mine (temporarily as the tires were 50 series and awful short looking with the blazer suspension and wheel wells).

A word about the 16" Z28/IROC wheels is that they have different offsets. I don't know the offsets I just know you can't run the rear wheels on the front of the camaro as the bearing dust cap pushes the wheel center cap out of the wheel. You can run 4 front rims on an IROC.

I've seen blazers with 15" Z28 rims on them and they looked pretty good.

Oh, I'm talking the 82 and up Z28 15" wheels and the 85 and up IROC Z28 16" wheels.

2005Jimmy 11-12-2010 10:11 AM

Thanks for the comments. With the different offset rim on the back the truck brakes straight now. On the front it made it pull to the opposite side. Also noticed that not all tires of the 235-75-15 size made by different manufactures have the same circumference either. The stock Goodyear Wranglers were almost 91" around while the newer Cooper ones were only 90" around. Doesn't sound like much but on a 4WD I would imagine it could screw up the rear diff over time on dry roads. Also checked the speedo with a GPS and the newer Coopers are now 2 kph slower than the Goodyears at 100 Kph (62.5 mph). Something to watch for when you are replacing tires that are supposedly the same size.

chevytruckdood 11-29-2010 12:51 PM

ive got rubbing on my blazer and im not exactly sure but i think i have 2wd rims on my truck. the blazer i picked up, the guy said its 2wd wheels and he wants to sell methe 4x4 wheels with tires for $100. and im not looking to lift it yet and especially not a torsion bar lift.... but i dont want it to rub every time i turn . will the wheels make that much of a difference? or should i just get different tires

mdehoogh 11-29-2010 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by chevytruckdood (Post 382513)
ive got rubbing on my blazer and im not exactly sure but i think i have 2wd rims on my truck. the blazer i picked up, the guy said its 2wd wheels and he wants to sell methe 4x4 wheels with tires for $100. and im not looking to lift it yet and especially not a torsion bar lift.... but i dont want it to rub every time i turn . will the wheels make that much of a difference? or should i just get different tires

Where is the rubbing at? On the edge of the fenders or near the frame and swaybar? If it's rubbing the fender than the 4WD wheels will probably help but if its rubbing the frame and swaybar at full steering, 4WD wheels will probably hurt it more

If you post a pic of the wheels (or find a pic online that looks the same), it will be easy to find out if they're 2WD or 4WD

chevytruckdood 11-29-2010 01:46 PM

4 Attachment(s)
well i took some pictures and i know the tires are different sizes but i thought they were close enough.
one 235/75/15 and the others 30x9.5/15 the 30x9.5 are on the rear curretnly and heres ome pictures i jsut went and took
and they are rubbing on the very outside edge of the tire which im thinking is on the fender.

my truck likes to rub its swaybar on the 20s but only when going all the way to steering lock. this one i didnt see the rub marks on the sway bar so im thinking i should jsut save the $100 and keep what i got and im ahead of the game sorta.

mdehoogh 11-29-2010 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by chevytruckdood (Post 382522)
well i took some pictures and i know the tires are different sizes but i thought they were close enough.
one 235/75/15 and the others 30x9.5/15 the 30x9.5 are on the rear curretnly and heres ome pictures i jsut went and took
and they are rubbing on the very outside edge of the tire which im thinking is on the fender.

my truck likes to rub its swaybar on the 20s but only when going all the way to steering lock. this one i didnt see the rub marks on the sway bar so im thinking i should jsut save the $100 and keep what i got and im ahead of the game sorta.

Yes, those are definitely 2WD wheels. I would make sure both rear tires are the same size and I would also hold off from using your 4x4 unless it was absolutely necessary. Different size tires on the same axle can cause problems.

Spending $100 for the other set of 4WD wheels would stop the rubbing unless they have tires that are larger than 30x9.5 on them

chevytruckdood 11-29-2010 01:59 PM

tires on each axle match but the 2 pairs dont match each other...............