Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

good tire for a good price?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Beginning Member
theclothedcreature is on a distinguished road
Default good tire for a good price?

i need 4 new tires.

235/75 on 15s

whats a good tire for around $80 a piece?
looking for a quiet a/t tire with lasting tread...

been shopping around for few weeks, just wanna get some opinions.

peace.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:22 PM
toaks1 is on a distinguished road

I just got some Dean Trailcat 235/75/15's on mine. They were $100 each installed and with sales tax, so the actual tire cost would be roughly $80/each
These tires (Dean) are made by Cooper tires as an off-brand or something. They are a very similar tread design to the Cooper Discoverer or the Mastercraft Courser (also made by Cooper) only they are much cheaper.
Theyve got a 40,000 mile treadware rating and have Mud and Snow rating on them and they are very quiet. The truck had the mastercraft coursers (almost an identical tire to this dean, only more expensive) on before i bought it and they lasted pretty well, I got 20k myself out of them and the previous owner had put them on about 2 years before i bought the truck. I had no complaints with the traction of the old ones in sand or in snow.
I know that these arent true all-terrain tires, but they are all season truck tires. For that price range u will not find a true a/t, something like a bridgestone dueler at will run in the $125-$150 range per tire

http://www.deantires.com/html/produc..._lt_all_season

Last edited by toaks1; 01-27-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:35 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

as a rule tires are not where you want to cut price. as the only part of the truck (on a good day) that makes contact with the road, your life rests on their knobby blackened tread....

as for a good a/t tire in the $80 range you can pick up any good a/t tire in the $120-130 range slightly used.... that's really your only bet.

as for decent tires thats your call. Nexen, Dean, Primewell <-- stop me if you've heard those names... you haven't? well they are the acceptable tires in the $95-$110 range....

as for a good a/t, with good tread AND low road noise for under $90.... you can't have your and eat it too

save up for one more month and throw another $20 per tire at it and you will be happy with the results....

sorry to be a wet blanket, but as an insufferable cheap ***, i have been beaten down on many a $ saving scheme around here. tires was one of them

Old 01-28-2010, 11:04 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I agree with Curtis. Spend the money and get a decent quality tire. It's not an area on your truck you want to go cheap. You'll just end up replacing the tires in a year if you do because they will end up scalloping.
I'm usually the same way. I like to buy the cheapest crap possible, but I have learned to spend the extra cash and get quality tires.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

General Grabbers AT2's! Still havent gotten mine in yet. They were back ordered. but many people on the site have been running them for quite some time and swear by them. Also the tirerack reviews are really positive.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:04 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

you can get those for $80?!?!

Old 01-28-2010, 03:47 PM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

When I bought my 235/75 r15 Cooper Discoverer tires a few years ago they were like $90 a piece, they have probably gone up in price since then. That was the price of only the tire. My friend had these on his Jimmy in a 32" but they did pretty good in my opinion. Kumho AT

Last edited by papacope; 01-28-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:00 PM

Kuhmo is a Korean made brand. Why not buy an American product and keep a few more people like u and me working somewhere in this great nation.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sisk
I agree with Curtis. Spend the money and get a decent quality tire. It's not an area on your truck you want to go cheap. You'll just end up replacing the tires in a year if you do because they will end up scalloping.
I'm usually the same way. I like to buy the cheapest crap possible, but I have learned to spend the extra cash and get quality tires.
I agree, BUT there are some brands which are literally identical to the name brand more expensive tires. That is why i used the Dean example of the tire i just bought. It is the same exact tire as the cooper, it is made by cooper, it has the same treadware rating, it has the same tread design, it has the same m+s rating. The only difference is that they cost $30 - $40 less PER TIRE. That really isnt "going cheap" its buying the same exact thing and saving over $100.
Every major brand has its off-shoot brands, I know that Cooper makes Dean and Mastercraft.
Dunlop makes the Nexxen line. I know a guy at the Tonawanda NY dunlop plant and he claims that the Nexxen's are made in the SAME PLANT as the Dunlops and use the same exact materials, the only difference is the name printed on the sidewall and the price tag.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Starting Member
DSMayo is on a distinguished road

I agree that tires aren't the area to go cheap on. Sure you can get the 'same' tire for cheaper with an off brand but they usually don't carry the warranty of the name brand. Then again if they do and you know for sure a well known company is producing them, go for it!

I would stay away from Kumho anything! My ex had a set of their all seasons and wore them out within 4-5 months. I've personally never heard anything good about that brand..

Quick Reply: good tire for a good price?