Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/)
-   -   i want rim for my 4x4 stock blazer and fear (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/i-want-rim-my-4x4-stock-blazer-fear-59020/)

mrkevinmjr 05-14-2011 05:23 PM

i want rim for my 4x4 stock blazer and fear

Guys n galls. i need to be clear because i dont wana buy and lose money.

Can i put a rim on my blazer that has a 4.5 inch backspacing but keep the height the same , tire size the same (235 75 r15) and rim the same 15 x 7....?

If i have to trim does anyone have pics to illustrate where to cut?

Will i have to trim a caliper?

I want the cragar soft 8. or something along those lines. but i need to know if a cragar soft 8 - 15 x7 - same diameter tire will fit. I love to stick out look but have to know if im gonna rum the crap out of my tire when i turn the wheel..

mrkevinmjr 05-14-2011 05:24 PM

Also i cannot afford crazy money so im gonna ave to paint the lower half of my truck myself... any ideas..

mdehoogh 05-14-2011 09:46 PM

You shouldn't* have a problem with those dimensions. I think the most backspacing cragar's are available in is 4.5 but you could check with procomp or american racing or any of the other brands that offer similar wheels. The more backspacing, the better.

There are several people with lower offset wheels like you're talking about that have no problems at all on stock height trucks with stock size tires but I know there have also been an occasional truck that had a problem. Most recently, CraigSnedeker posted that his Camaro wheels (I'm assuming 15x7 w 4" backspacing, a little further out than the ones your looking at) where hitting at the top of his fenders when he hit a bump.

Most people that end up cutting their fenders to allow for bigger tires and lower offset wheels (like I did) will end up cutting at the very bottom corner. I have a picture below of the corner that I cut off.

It's also VERY rare that I've ever heard of people having caliper issues. I know of one guy that bought a set of brand new wheels (cragar or procomp I cant remember) and only one of the four had a slight issue with the caliper. I think he got the wheel replaced and didn't have any problems. I think there's another guy on here that posted how he just sanded down the caliper a little bit and that cleared up the issue.

*I know that may not be an exact 'yes or no' answer but with suspension and tires, when parts wear out and loosen up over time, it's hard to have exact measurements of what will or won't fit. The best we can do is look at other people's experiences.

Hope that helps some

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/9076/dscn0907l.jpg

mrkevinmjr 05-31-2011 05:16 PM

im gonna buy the rims and im seeing it now that if i have to trim a bit i will... thanks for the pic... very helpful

Red 96' 05-31-2011 09:30 PM

I did exactly what you are talking about doing. The only issues I have had, was when hitting a large enough bump or dip in the road while at speed, the tire will strike the bottom of the fender. Of course, the paint on the fender got chewed up and I'm sure it's not good for the tires lol. With the stock rims, it was never a problem because the tire sat inside the fender well. However, the 4.5" backspacing makes tire tire stick out a little bit.

It hasn't happened to me in a while because i replaced my bump stops (which were toast). I am afraid that had I not done a t-bar crank, the problem would happen much more often. Whose to say though, my truck's got 208,000 miles on it and the t-bars probably sag. I'd say go for it, and if a little bit of adjustment is needed, so be it!

84BlazerS10 05-31-2011 10:15 PM

I don't see you having any problems I'm currently running a 0 offset with 235 series tiers and I only rub a bit at full lock.

mrkevinmjr 06-05-2011 07:03 PM

i did dome changes to the look and am really considering soft 8s ... mannnnnn i wish it were easier