Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/)
-   -   putting mud terrain tyres on my blazer (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/putting-mud-terrain-tyres-my-blazer-37453/)

819RIG 11-29-2009 03:08 AM

putting mud terrain tyres on my blazer

hey guys, im new to the forum.
im looking at getting some mud terrain tyres, but i dont know the limitation on the car. how big and thick can i go with tyres, i was hoping to get some 17' 33' muds, but im totally flying blind and id hate to buy them and have them not fit.

and will i have to do anything else to it besideds obviously lifting it.
its a 1998 LS.

any inof will be great, thanks guys

ABN31B 11-29-2009 01:31 PM

wow. to get 33's under a 98.... I would say the EASIEST way would be a Solid Axle Front end swap. Taht would cut out all of the problems associated with a Suspension lift AND allow for future mods.
You could probably also get a 6" suspension lift and 2-3" body lift, swap the current alxes for wider ones, like possibly ZR2 axles, or maybe some tahoe axles.... that would give you a good excuse to jump up to a larger carrier, say 8.5". those are both going to be projects that will sap your $$$ and be pretty hard on the truck. a bigger engine wouldn't hurt if you really want to make those 33's hum through some mud. you would also want to look into some dually sized fenders as 17" tires would stick out FOR DAYS before the axles got any longer :p

You will also have to change the gearing on said Axles. You should be running something like 3.41's right now and will want at least 3.73's....

you realize that turning those 33" M/Ts will put a good deal of strain on A LOT of parts...

i would say get yourself a good 2" BL, 2" rear shackle, do a +2" t bar crank, get out a sawzall (just incase some trimming is needed) and wedge some 31x10.5 tIres under her. There is porobably 13,000,000 threads and posts about just that around here...

stick with the stock rims too as they are odd sized (6" of back spacing) and finding an equivalent rim is a bit tough, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say MUCH tougher for you since you spell tIres with a Y and that means a country where firebirds and camaros will not be as common.

hope that helps, or at least points you to some good searches :D

Welcome to the forum

old skool luvr 11-29-2009 05:16 PM

WOW! great post Curtis. why is it you sound so knowledgable when tell others-i mean noob's- about what they're gonna be in for, but turn of the ignition when doing your *ahem* "projects"?

ABN31B 11-29-2009 10:45 PM

because, day in and day out, the army pays me to read all of blazer forum. all i do is google things and wiki random articles. I literally get paid to stare at acomputer. i do NOTHING productive for this great nation (anymore)

That being said, those are all things i have read through while looking into my dreams of uber mods.
Those who can't 'do', teach :icon_badrazz:

BTW, i could tell you about all of that stuff all day long. lay 2 tahoe axles and a new carrier in front of me and i garuntee you'd be calling me an ambulance within the hour. I actually told a couple out for a walk "I am the greatest mechanic who ever lived!!1" when i finished cahnging the plugs and wires on my wife's explorer, AND it started with out issue! :icon_woot: