Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/)
-   -   Question about 22"s Rims (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/question-about-22%22s-rims-18732/)

Stopphn 03-23-2008 09:38 PM

Question about 22"s Rims

Ok Ladies and Gents, I have a question so hopefully somebody can help me out! I am thinking about putting 22” rims on my 2001 blazer 2 Door and I hear good and bad stories about putting 22” on this truck. The tire size will be 265/35/22 (I plan on buying them from a friend) some of my questions are as followed: 1. when you put 22’s on does that affect your gas mileage and speedometer? 2. Do big rims such as 22’s cause damage to your transmission? 3. What about rubbing, will these tires rub? If anybody can help me with some information I would be very grateful.

Thanks

WolfPack 03-23-2008 09:56 PM

RE: Question about 22"s Rims

I'm running 265/70/15s on my blazer, and I rub quite a bit. I lifted 1.25' in the front, 2' in the back, and trimmed the rear edge of the front fender wells and STILL rub at full lock. A little more trimming on the wheel well itself should fix it.

Also this is probably more so a problem because I've got 4.5' of backspacing. If you can find a 22' with the stock back spacing you might be ok, but I think you'll still rub on the frame instead of the fender. Also it's important to note the actual dimensions of the tire. My 265 is actually 10.7' wide, where as a 31x10.50 is usually something like 10.2' wide (at least on the Grabber AT2s I researched).

And you will lose some mileage for 2 reasons, 1) the wider tire will yield increased rolling resistance (unless you get a pretty much perfect street tire with less rolling resistance than stock...if that's even possible??) and 2) the 22's will be heavier. Your speedo will only be affected if you increase overall diameter of the tire...which your 265/35/22s will be.

Not sure about your tranny...I'd guess no though.

Stopphn 03-23-2008 10:28 PM

Thanks State, the info. is very helpful! This is thesituation. I put the 22's on and the front sticks out more then the front (it not a problem). Any reason why? I have a little rubbing in the front, but I think I can trim that down a bit. The truck ride NICE. I think it better then the stock, but I can tell I heavier rims on. Do you think I should stay with the 265/35/22 or get another tire size?

Thanks

WolfPack 03-23-2008 10:54 PM

I happen to love the 265s. I like the wider tire, I like to wider stance, so I would say stick with the 265s if you like em!! And the wider front than back is normal. I think it's something like 1 1/4' spacers are needed in the back to make the stance the same on both axles, but don't buy a spacer off of that..I'm sure someone else on here has the exact spec.

For me the biggest rub problems were the lowest bolt on the inside of the fender well, and the body wrapped under and into the wheel well too far which caught the tire. So I cut that part of the body off and hammered it back, then took that bolt out. Works fine except for the tightest of parking spots, so I just park a few spaces farther out :)

Any pics of your blazer with the 22's??

Stopphn 03-23-2008 11:04 PM

So after removing the bolt and doing a little cutting so that the only time you rub? What about anybody else do you have problems rubbing?

thegr81 03-24-2008 07:29 AM

When I did a test fit with 22's on mine I would have had to trim a little bit out but not much for clearance, but that is at stock height! If you plan on lowering or bagging your blazer I would go with a skinnier tire then the 265 I would drop down to a 245/35r22 for that purpose!! As for messing up the tranni the rims won't mess it up, but unless you get a programmer your shift points will be off and also your gas mileage with suffer as well unless you got a programmer to program for the larger rim size!!

Stopphn 03-24-2008 07:22 PM

Thanks again! I plan on keeping it stock. What is a programer that will fix correct my shift points and gas mileage? Where would I be able to get that done and how much will it cost? Did you get your blazer programed? Is there anything I can do to help my mileage with 22" rims? I did a little trimming and I have no rubbing at all.

Thanks again

I am working the pics State

WolfPack 03-24-2008 10:39 PM

Any (ok most) power programmer compatible with our engines can set you straight. Those will run you at least $300 if I'm not mistaken. I'm not really an expert at all on the programmers, someone else will have to pipe up about these.

The only other option you've got is to go with a Wait4Me preformance tune or PCM4Less. These guys you ship them your PCM or buy a used one from them, and request certain changes. These are gunna be much cheaper than a programmer, but you don't get the convenience of making changes yourself as you need em.

Again, others will have much better info for ya, I just didn't wanna leave you hanging!

thegr81 03-25-2008 03:17 AM

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

Any (ok most) power programmer compatible with our engines can set you straight. Those will run you at least $300 if I'm not mistaken. I'm not really an expert at all on the programmers, someone else will have to pipe up about these.

The only other option you've got is to go with a Wait4Me preformance tune or PCM4Less. These guys you ship them your PCM or buy a used one from them, and request certain changes. These are gunna be much cheaper than a programmer, but you don't get the convenience of making changes yourself as you need em.

Again, others will have much better info for ya, I just didn't wanna leave you hanging!

Wolfpack your on the right path very right, the programmer I suggest getting is the hypertech programmer 3 it will allow you to adjust for larger rim and tires which will adjust your shift points as well and it is setup to give you the option for best gas mileage or more power. It will allow you to adjust alot of things without you having to send your pcm out to get chipped and programmed, its a straight forward plug in programmer and it plugs into your scan port for if you needed to read codes off the pcm!!

swartlkk 03-25-2008 06:39 AM

While a true tune (wait4me, pcmforless, or other) may not allow for on demand changes, the tune will be a lot more precise than tunes from a handheld generic tuner. A LOT more can be done with a custom tune than a hand held could ever do. I would consider a custom tune to be far superior to a hand held. If you need to change things a lot, then a hand held is the way to go. But if you are set in what you have done, then a custom tune is going satisfy you more.