Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/)
-   -   Sand Driving (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/sand-driving-62018/)

mzdee 08-11-2011 06:29 AM

Sand Driving

I'm riding on 235 70 15 on my 00 Blazer but i still have trouble getting on and off the beach, unless it's rained and the sand is packed I let tire pressure down to 17 or 18 psi any advise? i tried 4 hi in 2nd 4 lo in 1st 4 lo in D I am tried of getting stuck.

xgiovannix12 08-11-2011 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by mzdee (Post 452228)
I'm riding on 235 70 15 on my 00 Blazer but i still have trouble getting on and off the beach, unless it's rained and the sand is packed I let tire pressure down to 17 or 18 psi any advise? i tried 4 hi in 2nd 4 lo in 1st 4 lo in D I am tried of getting stuck.

tire size wont matter and lowering the tire pressure wont help much

if you wanna go on the beach sand you should get some mud tires or all terrains

also when your stuck you should always use 4lo so you can get more torque and traction in the tires 4hi is just going to make holes and be harder to get out .

swartlkk 08-11-2011 02:28 PM

*Moving to a new thread*

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12 (Post 452311)
tire size wont matter and lowering the tire pressure wont help much

if you wanna go on the beach sand you should get some mud tires or all terrains

also when your stuck you should always use 4lo so you can get more torque and traction in the tires 4hi is just going to make holes and be harder to get out .

:icon_no: Bad advice. Makes me wonder if you've ever driven on sand before.... Bass ackwards!

4LO doesn't increase traction, that is all in the tires, but it certainly increases torque which if used incorrectly will cause more problems than 4HI. The only point at which I would recommend using 4LO is if you are bogging down too much in 4HI. Even then, you must be ginger with the throttle. Once you spin, it'll just dig a hole.

With sand, you want as much surface area as possible to support the truck and not sink in. Regardless of the tire, lowering the tire pressure will increase the surface area, thereby lowering the contact pressure & keep the truck up on top of the sand better. True, stock tires don't have much of a contact patch to begin with, but every bit helps.

TheRandom1 08-11-2011 03:03 PM

Buying wider tires is a suggestion then?

swartlkk 08-11-2011 03:05 PM

Larger / wider tires will help, yes. Larger tires help by lessening the contact angle at the front of the contact patch and increasing the footprint. Wider tires help by increasing the footprint. All around, x was way off. :icon_slap: :icon_couchhide:

TheRandom1 08-11-2011 03:07 PM

Sounds like a lift kit and 31's will solve your issue then OP. Have at it!

:icon_playing::icon_bike:

Blazn1 08-12-2011 05:28 PM

i run 6-8 psi in the dunes.

DKSDAD 08-12-2011 06:18 PM

I generally tack about 50% of my air when going out on the beach unless it is really soft and I have a heavy load, then I take a little more out. I am running 30x9.5x15 BFG AT's. If you look at my pics you will see it on the beach.

mzdee 08-12-2011 08:05 PM

thanks for the advise I'll ask my mechanic whats the widest tire I can use on my blazer