Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/)
-   -   Tire opinions (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/tire-opinions-13239/)

UrbanOffRoader 09-25-2007 04:03 PM

Tire opinions

I just bought a new(ish) summer/good weather car (05 Boxster S)and I'm turning my Blazer into my winter/crapy weather vehicle. What I need now are some good tires for wet weather and snow.

Though dry traction is important, and I will still use the Blazer for those long hauls to go camping, my big concern is the nasty Canadian winter. I love plowing through 2 feet of snow on the empty streets when everyone else is stuck at home.

I'm tossing back and forth between the Yoko Geolander AT/S or the BFG T/A KO. I'm going for 30's with either.

For all round use and good snow traction, how do these guys do?

Any others I should be looking at?

Keep in mind, I want to buy them locally so tirerack is out. Last time I ordered tires from them, UPS pretty much violated me, and took my first born child. It was very sad. Everyone cried.

a_tack 09-25-2007 04:53 PM

RE: Tire opinions

Go with tyhe BFG's.... I have them and have driven in 3-4inches of snow (no canadian winter, but hey, it was snow) and didn't haveto be in 4wd... I have a limited slip diff (aftermarket I believe) and didnt spin in 2wd unless I tried.....

RCars2 09-25-2007 05:09 PM

Gotta agree with Aaron, BFG's are where its at. Unfortunatly i havent had a chance to play in the snow with mine, but in mudd and rain they are pretty nice. Its almost impossible for me to break them loose unless im really trying around a corner (also i think i got an open diff so that doesnt help any). Trust me, you wont be dissappointed.;)

Hanr3 09-25-2007 08:37 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6urte0ooRg

I'll let the BFG speak for themselves.
Open field, first lap fresh snow, second lap I followed my path from the first lap.

lennyblazer 09-25-2007 10:20 PM

BFG all terrian!!!!!! I am getting mine tomorrow and will be snapping some pics, but they have been awesome on all my friends trucks. They aren't loud for how aggresive they look and they do great on and off road and in normal to deep snow. The video above is definately a selling point. My friend has a stock Ford Ranger Edge 4x4, the only upgrade was to BFG all terrians and he hardly ever has to put his 4wd on. Definately great looking tires.

UrbanOffRoader 09-26-2007 08:03 AM

Ok so I've pretty much decided on the bfg's. But I have one more question...

What are the odds I'll get a bad rub if I go with 30's? I know they aren't much bigger, and normally only rub when the wheel is cranked, but I also have a bit of a sag in my rear suspension.

I just want to make sure they won't rub all the time.

With 143k miles on this thing... I'm really looking for the last pair of shoes it will ever wear, and I'm not into putting more money into repairs that aren't needed.

Thanks a bunch

blznlowxtreme 09-26-2007 06:24 PM

cant go wrong with the BFG, dunlop radial rover at is also a good snow and ice tire, they both last a long time

Hanr3 09-26-2007 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: UrbanOffRoader

Ok so I've pretty much decided on the bfg's. But I have one more question...

What are the odds I'll get a bad rub if I go with 30's? I know they aren't much bigger, and normally only rub when the wheel is cranked, but I also have a bit of a sag in my rear suspension.

I just want to make sure they won't rub all the time.

With 143k miles on this thing... I'm really looking for the last pair of shoes it will ever wear, and I'm not into putting more money into repairs that aren't needed.

Thanks a bunch
slim to none.
I have a stock 2000 S10-Blazer that I have been running 30" BFG on for the past 4years. I bought the truck with 27,000 miles on the ticker, it now has 143,000 miles. I still don't rub. Last set of shoes, no way. My truck has got at least another 100,000 miles before I consider her old and to decrepid for a trustworthy DD.

lennyblazer 09-26-2007 09:28 PM

I have a 98 4dr blazer, I just got 235 75R15's for my blazer and it looks like if I had gone a little larger with the 30x9.5 tires I think they would have rubbed at full lock up front, but the back looks good. The problem I ran into was that the place I go to get service done couldnt get the 30x9.5's and would be on backorder for 4 weeks. Also they are not as easy to get fixed/replaced at places in the US since most places dont stock that size of that tire. Just some things to think about. I think mine look great and will be posting up some pics tonight or tomorrow.

a_tack 09-27-2007 11:35 AM

my local wal-mart stocks a 30x9.50x15...lol