Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/)
-   -   Tire pressure question? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/tire-pressure-question-55582/)

jmil891 02-19-2011 09:23 AM

Tire pressure question?

About two weeks ago i bought a new set of bfgoodrich all terrain t/a ko' s for my 98 blazer the shop inflated them to about 34 psi but they look low. on the tire everything says 50 psi. any recommendations on how much air to put in?

old skool luvr 02-19-2011 10:42 AM

i always run my tires within a few pounds of the tires max rating. never been an issue.

people need to remember that the sticker on the drivers door is for OE tires only. if you replace them with a different tire (manufacture & model) then those ratings don't apply anymore.

and i run LT series tires on all my trucks, and i've never had an "issue" with it seeming like it's more harsh with a more inflated tire.

mdehoogh 02-19-2011 10:48 AM

The steel wheels I put on my truck say max psi at 35 inside one of the 'spokes'. Perhaps the alloy wheels have a similar rating?

blazinloud 02-19-2011 11:02 AM

yes, i have the same question, and same tires.

rriddle3 02-19-2011 11:44 AM

Once again, the psi rating on the tire sidewall is not the recommended pressure for your vehicle, it is the maximum cold pressure rating for that tire as specified by the tire manufacturer.
jmil891, if your tires are the same size that came OEM, go by the sticker on the inside of the door jamb +/- 2lbs to suit your taste and you will be fine.

old skool luvr 02-19-2011 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by mdehoogh (Post 410266)
The steel wheels I put on my truck say max psi at 35 inside one of the 'spokes'. Perhaps the alloy wheels have a similar rating?

hmmmm..........haven't had any steel wheels for one of these in.........14 years i guess. never noticed any pressure ratings on the aluminum ones, but i've never really looked either. but i've also never had any issues with them either. and i drive over islands/curbs all the time. i've only "hit" a curb once when some guy in a Bimmer forced me into one doing about 60-65 kmh (@ aprox 40* angle) and never had an issue with that.

thank God for 75 series rubber!

my Winter tires have a max psi of 44 (i run them around 41/42) and the Summer tires are 50 max (run them around 48/49)

s14sh3r 02-19-2011 12:27 PM

The 50 psi is when the tire is carrying close to its maximum load. The only time you might need that much is if you are pulling a heavy trailer. Other than that, 35psi should be good.

blazinloud 02-19-2011 12:38 PM

i had mine at 35 and the rolling resistance was pretty noticable after i put more air in

rriddle3 02-19-2011 12:40 PM

The higher the pressure, the less the rolling resistance but the harsher the ride.

mdehoogh 02-19-2011 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr (Post 410289)
never noticed any pressure ratings on the aluminum ones, but i've never really looked either.

To answer my own question, I went and dug out my old aluminum "sawblade" wheels and they do have 'max 50psi' stamped inside. odd that steel wheels have a lower max rating than the alloys. I would have guessed the opposite.

jmil, my tires also say 50psi on the sidewall but I keep them at 35 and they perform very well. I'd recommend keeping them where they're at