Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/)
-   -   Tire question (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/tire-question-33784/)

boosted475 08-18-2009 01:35 PM

Tire question

Okay at the risk of sounding stupid, I ask this question.
I recently heard that tires actually have an expiration date?
That after X-amount of years even if the tread is good, the rubber is bad?
Can anyone clarify this for me please?

Thanks.

s10blazed 08-18-2009 01:38 PM

I worked in a tire shop for a few years during college. I never heard anything about an expiration date. I know the manufacturing date is stamped on them so maybe there is some 'rule of thumb' about how long they can be stored for. How long they will last depends on the conditions they are stored in. Tires that are never taken care of and let bake in the sun will certainly dry rot before a well maintained tire stored in a cool dark area.

rriddle3 08-18-2009 01:54 PM

Info from tirerack.com

oktain 08-18-2009 03:28 PM

We had a 1996 Cavalier with only 80,000kms (~49709.7mi lol) and the original tires actually fell apart before the tires were worn bare. Problem was the tires baked in the sun All day every day.
The sun is so hard on everything, look at our plastic mouldings around the rear windows as an example. Mine's an 05 and it's getting to the point where I could write my name with my finger nail in them if I wanted too.

Sisk 08-18-2009 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by oktain (Post 239602)
We had a 1996 Cavalier with only 80,000kms (~49709.7mi lol) and the original tires actually fell apart before the tires were worn bare. Problem was the tires baked in the sun All day every day.
The sun is so hard on everything, look at our plastic mouldings around the rear windows as an example. Mine's an 05 and it's getting to the point where I could write my name with my finger nail in them if I wanted too.

lol, yours too eh Pat? Mine are all pitted and faded. Glad to know I'm not alone.
And as for the tires...how long were you planning on running around on the same tires? It depends on the quality of the tire, the climate and a host of other things. I wouldn't stick with the same tires for anymore then 2 years straight if you could avoid it. It will save the risk of them falling apart IMO.

boosted475 08-19-2009 08:39 PM

ah stupid sun.. i need a place with a garage! ahha

NVANZEE 08-20-2009 12:59 AM

yeah ive heard that most places cant sell em if they are more than 6 years old

boosted475 08-21-2009 02:15 PM

yeah I read that somewhere while researching

Boopappa 08-22-2009 02:54 PM

Tires DO go bad, they will get softer after so long and they also start to dry rot. Tires not being used actually go bad faster than tires that are being used, I know this sounds weird, but its true. I have read about it in Fast Fords and Mustang mags.