Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/)
-   -   tire recomendations? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/tire-recomendations-7401/)

skitzobmxr 12-15-2006 05:32 PM

tire recomendations?

i need sum new tires...any ideas im lookin for lotsa tread and a big tire but idk anything about sizes and i dont want to just go buy 4 tires that wont even fit on my truck

1991 s10 blazer 4x4 4.3L vortec v6 4-door

20Blazer00 12-15-2006 05:57 PM

RE: tire recomendations?

It will depend on how much money you want to spend. If you want big bad ass tires then you will have to do some computer mods to adjust for the tire size changes.

The newer 4L60E tranny computer settings come from the factory with a 28" circumference (235x70-15R All Season Radial). The largest you can go without computer upgrade is 28.9" or 235x75-15R. Anything bigger will cost you in performance and mileage unless you adjust the computer to compensate...

Also the more rubber that contacts the pavement the more resistence there is and the more power you need to overcome it and the more gas you will use to get up to cruising speed whether on the highway or in town between stop lights...

skitzobmxr 12-15-2006 05:59 PM

wut about clearance...will they fit without any problems

20Blazer00 12-15-2006 06:02 PM

I think the largest tire you can fit into the fenders would be 30" but then you might rub when you turn the wheel to full lock right or left. It will either rub the frame or inner fender but I might be thinking of 31" tires...

skitzobmxr 12-15-2006 06:08 PM

wut about those?

BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO - Discount Tire

*EDIT by swartlkk* - fixed long link

20Blazer00 12-15-2006 06:20 PM

They will fit into the fenders but would have them check to see for clearance when turning if you get them...also since these tires are 2" taller than stock you will have some issues with the way the transmission will shift and drive in town. If you look on the driver side door you should see a label that tells you what tires came stock with the truck and you can go from there...like I said earlier any more than 3% larger than stock will require computer work to get the trans to work like it should. If you plan on keeping the truck you could also look into gearing changes in the front and rear differentials to offset the larger tires...but that is the expensive side of the equation...

skitzobmxr 12-15-2006 06:50 PM

i think i found better ones...28 wil fit rite?

Goodyear Wrangler

*EDIT by swartlkk* - fixed long link

Hanr3 12-15-2006 11:17 PM

My stock tire size is 235/75R15 and I have been running 30" tires for the past 2 years.
31" will rub.

30" tires also fit on the older Blazers without rubbing, and they came stock with 205/75R15 or 215/75R15 tires.

There will be some performacne loss, butunless your really hardcore about it, I doubt you will notice it.

swartlkk 12-15-2006 11:20 PM

Check the sticker on the door for your factory tire size. It is possible that you came from the factory with 235/75R15 (28.9" od tires). If your truck came with 235/70R15, anything larger will throw off the speedo. The jump from 28" od to 28.9" od will make your speedo ~3% slow so at a speedo reading of 60mph, you will actually be going ~62mph. Now if you have 235/70R15s and jump to 30x9.5 tires, your speedo will be slow by ~7%.

I don't think the computer will complain about having 30" tires. Your mileage may suffer simply due to the added weight though.

20Blazer00 12-15-2006 11:44 PM

Well unless you can reprogram thecomputer the larger tire size will affect part throttle operations since the rpm ranges for the larger size tires may not fall into the ranges that the computer will work with effeciently so it will try to readjust or use default settings which would cause loss of MPG in town and might increase on the highway since the larger tires have a longer rolling distance so gas mileage will increase... their are two ways to adjust this table one is the HyperTech III Power Programer or ask your local dealer if they can do this...my local Chevy Dealer won't...