Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/)
-   -   Tire Width (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/tire-width-88587/)

Metal Warrior 01-20-2015 09:58 AM

Tire Width

Despite my best efforts, I cannot seem to find this info anywhere on this forum. I have a stock '95 Blazer LT. Can anyone tell me how wide of a tire I can run while keeping the same approx. aspect ratio height? What I mean is that currently, the truck has 235/70R 15's on it. Can I safely run, with no rubbing, say.....255/60R 15's? Or is this too wide of a tire for the front? I'm not interested in aggressive AT tires, as the truck is solely a street vehicle. I am looking at BFG Radial T/A's. I just want the truck to not look like it's perched on stilts. Thank you for any and all input.

AJBert 01-20-2015 10:45 AM

You can run 255's without any problems. Just make sure the diameter is very close to your stock tires and you'll be good to go.

Metal Warrior 01-20-2015 11:43 AM

Hey thanks man. Basically, I can either go an inch more in diameter, or an inch less in diameter. This being because the equivalent diameter doesn't seem to be available- 235/70 = 255/65. So I can either go 255/60, or 255/70. Would an inch more in diameter be pushing my luck?

rriddle3 01-20-2015 01:29 PM

These two links will help you out:

What tires can I fit?

Tire Size Calculator

da67goatman 01-20-2015 01:38 PM

Wheel selection plays a huge role in what tires fit. Width and offset are major factors as to whether they will rub or stick way outside the fenders.

P.S. might I also suggest looking into tires for the way they perform rather than the way they look as those radial t/a are really just for looks. Plus this will open up other tire sizes that may work better for you.

Metal Warrior 01-20-2015 02:29 PM

Just for looks? Do tell.........Granted, I haven't ran BFG T/A's since the early 90's, but they used to be an EXCELLENT performing tire that happened to look really good too. Did they change the way they were manufactured or something? Or is it just a classic tire that has failed to keep up with the technology of the times? As for wheel selection, my Blazer is BONE STOCK, with the original factory wheels (15" with 6" backspace I believe). I don't have any immediate plans to upgrade those. Only the tires, with which I want to go wider with, while keeping the diameter approximately the same. I was only curious as to whether 255 would be too wide, and would interfere with the steering. Upon investigating, I have discovered that within the scope of that width (255), I have to make the choice of either increasing, or decreasing the diameter of the tire by 1" due to the fact that the equal diameter 255 tire would be a 65 series, and a 255/65/15 does not exist. So now the question posed is- Will a 255 width tire interfere with the steering, and if not, will increasing the diameter of said tire by 1" make it too tall for the fenderwell? So of the two, which would be the better option, 255/60 or 255/70, regardless of brand.

jmparker82 01-20-2015 03:27 PM

I run 255/70/15 on a stock 2000 Blazer with no issues at all.

da67goatman 01-20-2015 06:21 PM

Either size will "fit" but both will alter the accuracy of you're speedometer. Also not changing your wheels is ill advised when increasing tire width. Most every factory truck/van wheels are on the narrow side of acceptable right from the factory. Your wheels and tires should be matched together to achieve the look or performance you're after. A certain size looks and performance different on different width or different offset wheels. Putting a 255 on a 6" wheel with be very bulgy and squirrely on the street even with higher pressure, but offer great rim protection and carcas flex at modest pressure off-road. notice how the tire manufacturer lists acceptable rim widths for each size in a range 7"-9" for example because they will physically mount to many different widths but performance and safety can be reduced at either extreme.

I would recommend finding someone to mount a tire on one of your wheels as a test fit and see how it looks on your vehicle. I have a feeling its not going to look as good as you think because of the wheel's width. I would also look at mounting factory size to a wider wheel such as an 8" or 9" and see how they look.

Bfg radials may have been a performance tire in the 80's but it was the 80's and performance then is not even in the same galaxy as modern performance. Nowadays they're really just for looks of a white letter tire on your cruiser. The tire compound is too hard for decent grip and the tread doesn't evac water fast enough in wider widths.

Weather conditions also play a role in tire selection. Do you drive in snow or in temps near or below freezing? on gravel roads? long steep hills? You mentioned your Blazer is strictly ON road only so you may be better looking at more of a high performance tire over a generic all season. For example the Comp Sport if you want to stick with BFG or some Continental DW/ DWS, Yokohama Advan Sport or Toyo Proxes. I Personally stay away from Goodyear and Bridgestone/Firestone and have never been impressed by Michelin especially with the higher cost.